Fan belt replacement in 2003 Mitsi Grandis

retropearl, Aug 29, 6:43am
I got quoted $64.40 for belt and labour $90.85. Is this reasonable/about right or should I shop around! only got quoted lasted Friday after work. I took car in for WOF and to check the belt too,as it's squealing noise when driving and when stationary with car idling. I was told it's original belt and since car has done 118kms so will need replacing.

phillip.weston, Aug 29, 7:15am
keep shopping around. The belt should be about $40-50 max for an aftermarket job. Sounds like they are charging an hours labour to do the job, I am fairly sure it would be even less than half an hour to replace.

retropearl, Aug 29, 7:20am
Thanks, ok will ring around tomorrow. I thought an hours labour a bit generous too. cheers.

phillip.weston, Aug 29, 7:34am
I'm sure the Grandis has the same dual belt arrangement of the other Sirius family engines, usually involves removing the ps/air con belt to get to the alternator belt. Perhaps the parts quote was for both belts! Labour should still be the same amount whether just one or both belts gets replaced.

retropearl, Aug 29, 7:40am
quote was for a belt only.

retropearl, Aug 29, 8:28pm
This morning, I rang up another workshop near my work and will be around $100 all!.glad I shopped around ;-)

yogibearz, Aug 29, 10:18pm
be aware that some of the after market belts can cause noises. We did one which constantly squealed and made noises and it was over come by fitting a genuine belt. I know of some Mitzy dealers who have had similar problems

retropearl, Aug 29, 11:50pm
Oh, I've booked it in already and they will be using after market.I might get them to price up difference of a geniune belt.actually I will ring up Mitsi dealership and find out and perhaps pick up myself.

retropearl, Aug 29, 11:54pm
Ok, I rang up a Mitis dealership and got quoted $235 (includes gst).

saxman99, Oct 8, 8:44am
For a fan belt.And I keep getting told my Bimmers are expensive to service.Funny.