WOF question. Its your car and you can take it where you wantif another wof guy is happy to pass it then no problemit will show

sandypheet, Aug 31, 8:42am
Its your car and you can take it where you want.If another wof guy is happy to pass it then no problem.It will show up that it has failed on a certain catagory but not specific where the problem is.In this case it is structure.

sw20, Aug 31, 8:45am
If it is still safe your usual WOF man should pass it. However if he has a better look this time and agrees with the testing stations conclusion that it needs to be sorted, then you need to sort it.

franc123, Aug 31, 9:10am
Either take it to your previous tester or get a proper structural report from a decent smash repairer, sill dents can be a bit of a grey area, providing there are no stress cracks or broken spotwelds anywhere its difficult to make a case that the strength of the sill has been compromised, unless the dent is over quite a large area. If the body shop is prepared to state in writing it is ok it should be passed. This can easily be completed on the structural profile sheet the tester should have given you when it was failed.

beblowin, Aug 31, 9:13am
if its been failed it will be recordered on line and if you take it back to the garage who passed it for 10yrs and they say its ok and pass it, that will also be recorded in the landata system,if its structual damage i will be going to a local panel beater for a assement before you make judgement on its rubbish or not, if a panel shop says it needs fixing take it back to guy who passed it for 10yrs and get them to pay for it , if the panel shop says its ok take proof back for the recheck.

gunhand, Aug 31, 9:14am
As I understand it dented sills are no longer an issue, they were, now there not.
I was told this by my WOFerwhen I asked about a big dent in the sill of a car I had. We had a run of repairing thembut not thats stopped as well.

ml6989, Aug 31, 9:33am
Why on earth would the person doing the checks for the last ten years have to pay for repairs! Would he also have to pay for new tyres if they are worn out! Get a grip.

beblowin, Aug 31, 9:47am
ml6989 wrote:

Why on earth would the person doing the checks for the last ten years have to pay for repairs! Would he also have to pay for new tyres if they are worn out! Get a grip.[/quotebecause the cars been issued with a wof when its not up to standard and the issuer has been doing it for some time and will get made to bring the car back to wof standard for the repairs needed, and yes if you passed a car for worn tyres and a complant was made to nzta the issuer will have to remedy that as well, does that answere your question!

henderson_guy, Aug 31, 9:54am
*Prepares the popcorn*

a.woodrow, Aug 31, 10:44am
So if the panelbeater was bemused, he obviously thinks it is ok and can confirm no structural damage and you can get your wof.!

a.woodrow, Aug 31, 10:47am
Nah forget about it. the wof would be revoked on the car as it's not in safe condition (moot point as its failed a wof anyway) and at most the avic would get a warning. dented sills are very much an inspectors own interpretation, not a hard and fast pass or fail. there is no way the previous inspector should pay for repairs

franc123, Aug 31, 10:55am
Heres some food for thought, if the previous inspector had not made any comment on the checksheets over the past 10 years, and presumably up to 20 wof checks and passes in that time, how could you prove the damage had been there all along! It does sound like someone is being a bit of a dick if there is only minor jack damage to a small section of sill.

grangies, Aug 31, 8:55pm
I though the rules were that if uni-body/monocoque vehicles had dents in the sills then they were consider a structural failure, which is often just pedantic nonsense, ( twisted then sure,. but a small dent! )

But if the vehicle has a body on top of a ladder chassis, like utes, 4x4's, some vans etc, then sill dents are no issue.

ceebee2, Aug 31, 9:44pm
Simply take the vehicle and pay for another WOF check.it will only show up when he accesses the database online after the car passes (You hope) You simply state that repair was already done. Been there many times because some testing stations are just over the top with their checks.

rkauto, Sep 1, 12:03am
Pretty simple really.As most avi,s are not stuctural engineers they will get the owner to take the vehicle to a qualified person /panelbeater to inspect and deside if the damage has affected the structural integrety of the car.If all is fine they will sign off the structure sheet and you can return and get your wof.Easy

kazbanz, Sep 1, 12:12am
dent in sill is still a WOF fail. But rather than ALL dents being a fail theres a bit of flexibility -some minor dings for example are fine

nzfatie, Sep 1, 11:31am
A dent in the sill (or chassis rail) is only a WOF fail if it affects the integrity of the vehicles structure, which in many cases it doesn't.
That's why we see lots of older cars driving around with dented sills and chassis rails (most MX5's) still with valid WOF's.
It's different story with newer cars, as noted in the WOF (VIRM) guidelines.

Reasons for rejection: Condition

1. The structure of the vehicle (shaded areas of Figure 3-1-2) has visible:

a) deformation from the original shape that has affected the vehicle??