Off road Go Kart needs a gear shifter.

Page 2 / 2
kazbanz, Sep 2, 3:35am
Ahhh its an output flange going south out of the case.
Youda thunk there would be a crown wheel inside the sidecover that would unbolt to fit a sprocket with some mods. OR why not a driveshaft and the rear diff from the quad
In fairness Dunno cos I've only dealt with chain drive stuff

daryl14, Sep 2, 6:50am
You'd have to make the swing arm about a foot longer to put the diff from the quad on there Kaz. even if you could shorten it to take out the universal part. Its good how it is cause when the swing arm pivots, the top of the engine doesn't rock forward into the seat. I think this mod is reasonably common in these buggies when the Honda knock off engine/CVT units shit themselves.

slater-bug, Sep 2, 7:46am
that sounds like you have the engine mounted on the moving rear swings, rigid with the diff/final drive sprocket!

has this proven to work!,
I'd have thought fuel issues as an immediate concern ( unless you have incredibly stiff shocks and very low tyre pressure ) carb float levels don't take kindly to vibrations of the offroad kart variety) plus the engine mounts would need to be a lot stronger then even a full sized quad

personally I'd consider it a folly to mount the engine on the grounding subframe - just asking for stress fractures galore in times to come

slater-bug, Sep 2, 7:51am
200cc yamaha quad!, single range!, reverse!
4 moto/big bear man here, used to hi/low/reverse cabled lever either beside engine or in front guard
what does yours use for selecting reverse

daryl14, Sep 2, 7:56am
Yup she's the sngle range with reverse shifter mounted on engine case. You may well be right with regards to fuel flows etc, mate. It's going to be very much a wait and see scenario. Well this engine-on-swing-arm set up is how it came from factory. The later go Karts do have Independant rear sus. Probably cause of the reasons you describe. It's all I got to work with so I'll just have to make it work.

daryl14, Sep 2, 7:56am
Yup she's the sngle range with reverse shifter mounted on engine case next to head. You may well be right with regards to fuel flows etc, mate. It's going to be very much a wait and see scenario. Well this engine-on-swing-arm set up is how the go kart came from factory. The later go Karts do have Independant rear sus. Probably cause of the reasons you describe. It's all I got to work with so I'll just have to make it work.

slater-bug, Sep 2, 8:07am
I hope it turns out well for you, if it appears to flood or starve in the fueling it will be after everything else is working, softer tyres and stiffer shocks will help if they are needed ( again , later)

have about 5 old quads here with frames gone soft or engines worn out, and one day will get busy and build a nice low seated kart from the rusted or busted, would be interested to hear how it turns out - shortening out the uni and most of the shaft does have an appeal ( ie engine mounted short to diff on swing arm)

daryl14, Sep 2, 8:30am
Thanks Slater, Let me know if you know any engine mods or anything else to make her go better. Have only had a short blat in this due to the old mounts coming unstuck. All redone with 6mm plate now so should be solid enough.

She's had a rough life the engine. Noticed the main jet in the carb is all eaten away and the engine oil was absolute crud. It seemed to slip a bit and struggle when trying to take off on hills. Have tried to gear it down a bit. Is there any external adjustment for clutch!

NZTools, Sep 2, 8:36am
It shouldnt effect the float level too much.
You can point most dirt/farm bikes straight up or down banks and it has no effect on the fuel mixture. 15 to 20 degrees of swingarm travel will do little.

kazbanz, Sep 2, 8:46pm
daryl im guessing its a 5 speed auto clutch. In that case you should be able to ger it down heaps.
IMO with the float level bitthe one thing thst is important is that the carb is vertical when the cart is at rest and loaded.(you sitting in it. No favours to yourself if the carb is only half full due to being at a funny angle.
Just doing some mental imaging though.
You could save yourself a bit of misery by running solid mounts from the main chasis to support the engine then run a trail bike setup for the chain -(spring loaded idler bearing to take up the slack)

daryl14, Sep 2, 9:47pm
Hey Man. Yeah we've set up the engine with the drive output horizontal for obvoius reason of driving the axles via chain. That tipped the head forward a bit but the original carb intake has a built in offset so flipping that over resulted in a reasonably level carb position.

I guess the moter now sees more tipping side to side than front to back, relative to it's original bike mounting. Wouldn't be economical to go back and try rigid mount with IRS. as I said to someone else previously, It obviously came factory with engine on swing arm mounting. Might post some piccies later of what we've got if ya real interested.