Damaged boat prop

shane191, Aug 31, 8:58am
can a boat prop that has tips of blades broken off due to hitting rocks be repaired! thanks

unclejake, Aug 31, 8:59am
Often. Is is alloy, stainless steel, plastic or bronze!

shane191, Aug 31, 9:19am
its alloy, its on a 25hp johnson

easygoer, Aug 31, 9:22am
I broke the tip off the prop on my 90HP Evinrude, a mate welded a piece to it which I shaped with a file and then painted it and it was still ok 10 years later

gamefisher, Aug 31, 9:28am
Yes several places do repairs let google be your friend and google " propellor repairs new zealand ".

rob_man, Aug 31, 9:29am
Henley Marine on the North Shore rebuild props, probably cheaper to buy a 2nd hand one though.

h.e, Aug 31, 9:31am
easy to fix.the centre needs to be kept reasonabley coolish so the centre rubber which the spline is in doesnt burn melt distort

unclejake, Aug 31, 9:40am
I can't imagine it being economic to repair as they are pretty cheap to buy.

Have a good look at the hub to get the diameter and pitch details before ordering a replacement. You may want to change pitch if the vessel isn't performing correctly

shane191, Aug 31, 9:58am
may have found one on here, listing no 508950714, i see it has a small nick out of it,

fryan1962, Aug 31, 10:09am
you can shape with a file, you can test to see if it is running true, by putting an object near the blade rotate and check to see if measurement is the same on all three
two plastic hammers can be used to shape the prop

matt5209, Sep 1, 2:47am
The prop may only be part of the problem.If you have hit rocks you may have damage in the gearbox/shaft/motor.

shane191, Sep 1, 5:07am
the motor still goes fine, the prop has a shear pin and i think that saved any other damage.