Transfer case and diff oil, does any one ever

friendly_prawn, Aug 31, 12:43am
bother to change them!
Being mechanical in nature is there any real point!
Just getting the trans serviced on my 4x4 and the shop said the above needed an oil change. never heard of anyone bothering to do them before.Just like a manual gearbox, who ever changes the oil in a manual box! thoughts please!

tmenz, Aug 31, 12:49am
I know that Toyota recommend that the diff oil in Hiaces should be renewed every so often to avoid bearing whine - a known problem.

gadgit3, Aug 31, 12:54am
Every 30000kms.

mm12345, Aug 31, 1:34am
When you do change the oil (which you should), put some of what you take out in a jar, and compare the feel of it to the new oil of the same grade that you put in. Oil doesn't just break down due to contamination and high temps.

Some 4x4s might use ATF in the transfer case in auto models, but regular gear oil in the transfer case in m/t models, I think the idea of this is if there's leakage in the seal between, cross-contamination could cause issues.

daryl14, Aug 31, 1:49am
How many times have you splashed into a big puddle or river and caused a sudden cooling of the diff/cases which in turn causes a sudden shrinkage of the casing which in turn causes a sudden negative pressure resulting in a gulp in through the breather. If that breather was underwater at the time.

In fact normal heating and cooling of the components will cause a natural breathing in and out of humid air and consequent condensation, just like your engine. They aint sealed for life.

I've experienced a major failure of axle outer seals as well due to beach driving which resulted in a complete rebuild of diff. How much faith you put in those seals!

friendly_prawn, Aug 31, 2:40am
doesnt really matter. Its too late.
Put the car in the shop for a trans service - flush.
They rang back with want us to change oil in transfercase and diff.
i said no.
This is a little towny 4wd. Probably never been off road in its life. So wont have had a hard time by any means. Guess I trust the seals for now. :-)
It's a year 2000 kia sportage which are supposed to have bullet proof trans anyway.

I have had all manner of cars and 4wds. Actually never even bothered to trans service any of the autos until recently when my first auto trans failed in a coon at only 160,000s.
never ever heard of diff or transfer case oil changes in my life until now.
Oh well, at the cost the shop was quoting I'll get around to doing it myself at some stage, just for the hell of it.Still really cant see the need.

pico42, Aug 31, 2:45am
The last time we changed the transfer case and diff oils in our 4WD, all three were the colour and consistency of my morning porridge. It gets done fairly regularly. But we have now lengthened the diff breathers and replaced the split transfer gear level seal.

elect70, Aug 31, 2:50am
If its only had road usewouldnt botherbut if autodo the box.Onlandrovers we had which did deepriver crossings regularythediff &t caseoil remained clean , . . Only if it got stuck in dirty or seawater did wechange the oils

yogibearz, Aug 31, 6:20am
Yes its a service item. Change it as recommended by the maker. Usually around 40000km from my expirence. It may seem an un needed expense but it beats rebuilding a transfer/4 wheel drive system and as stated above if its in rivers etc check the location and height of the breather.

jason18, Aug 31, 6:57am
I changed my diff oil in my falcon about 25kms agoo. It was like a milky browny colour and was thick and nasty

robell, Aug 31, 7:05am
Even if you dont change it, at least check it out, if it is milky (water contaminated) then change it, if it looks good then cross fingers and carry on. I check mine regularly due to going off road.

unbeatabull, Aug 31, 7:11am
Manual Gearbox oil I can understand you not changing it - if theres nothing wrong with the box and no seals leaking the fluid will look good for yonks.

Oil does break down with age as well. And in diffs and transfer cases where there is likely to also be clutches etc, wear on them contaminates the oil. Drain the oil out of the diff and compare it to new stuff and you'll see why its recommended to change them.

mugenb20b, Aug 31, 7:34am
When I used to do a lot of off roading, I changed the diff, gearbox and transfer case oils every 12 months. However, there has been times when I changed all the oils every time we went through a deep water crossing.along with cleaning and regreasing the bearings on the front axle.

As for cars that never go off road, I wouldn't bother changing them. However, I would keep an eye on the colour / condition of the oil, particularly limited slip diffs.

mm12345, Aug 31, 8:02am
Some auto supply shops have those little clear plastic gearbox things set up with a handle you turn, to demonstrate some snake-oil additive,The additive is probably mainly a waste of time, but it shows how gear oils have that "sticky/snotty" property, important as the whole gearbox isn't submerged in an oil bath.Old gearbox oil loses that property - it ends up looking like ordinary engine oil, even if it's still sparkling clean and clear.

blackcat17, Aug 31, 9:26am
I agree, also there's all the lovely tiny little bits of metal now floating in there constantly circulating through the gears. New oil is cheap insurance, - even if there is no ultimate failure of a transmission, not doing it leads to increased wear, slop, noise etc.

lazzo, Aug 31, 9:46am
I recently had the Diff and the Auto Trans oils changed in my Falcon XR8 ute, the Diff was cheap, but the 6spd Auto Trans was HUGELY expensive, about $90 a litre and I don't recall how many litres it took but I nearly fell over when they told me, kept them honest by calling two other Ford dealers and they both gave me a similar price.

unbeatabull, Aug 31, 10:52am
$72/Litre + Gst last I checked.

morrisman1, Aug 31, 11:06am
Ive changed the oil in my gearbox 4 times in the last 30,000km lol. First time was when I bought it at 267000km and half the gearbox fell out with it. Then a while later I discovered that the other half of the gearbox that fell out was kinda necessary, so I replaced gearbox (only cost $50 so all good, took a couple hours), new fluid at that stage. A while later I checked it and looked pretty nasty, must have been stuff in the new gearbox so peace of mind changed it again. Then cocked that up and put some heavy stuff in that time and then it shifted real bad, got sick of that and a couple days ago I put some 80 grade in it and now its sweet as.

Should stay in there until I find a cheap LSD box then Ill swap that in and of course some new oil haha.