2005 Ford Mondeo 174,000km

nannyb3, Aug 29, 1:06am
Looking at buying. It is a manual. Is that too much mileage on the clock!.
Two owners, N.Z. model and wanting $10,000. Advice please.

smac, Aug 29, 1:11am
Petrol.diesel.!

nannyb3, Aug 29, 1:18am
Petrol

sifty, Aug 29, 1:39am
that milage is nothing (if it has been serviced) may be a tad expensive though! Others will have a better idea on that than me.

Unless it is in really great condition. They are a pretty good car in manual guise, hear of people getting 300,000 kms out of them no bother.

phillip.weston, Aug 29, 2:18am
waaaay too expensive. $10k should get you one with lower kms. I bought my 2004 2.0 5spd wagon with 397,000kms from Turners for $2200, and that was 18 months ago.

franc123, Aug 29, 7:17am
I wouldn't pay more than $6500, if they won't budge move on, its not like there is a shortage of them on the market. People bypass these in the stampede to pay twice as much for a Mazda6 without realising they are mechanically mostly the same car.They are OK buying provided they have been maintained properly,this is important on any car but especially these as they have long service intervals to start with, its essential its had good quality oil throughout its life and services haven't been skipped.Have come across a few that have suffered from engine bearing failure and generally noisy engines because of this.Manuals are the best to buy but make sure there aren't any issues with the clutch, they are expensive to replace properly, anything that seems juddery or slipping when taking off is about to cost a couple of grand (yes you read that right) to fix . Also make sure all the body electrics, especially the windows and door locks are all functioning properly, again not a cheap fix if there are problems although there are more secondhand parts about now than a few years back.

flack88, Aug 29, 7:29am
Why is the clutch so expensive to replace ! just curious

thejazzpianoma, Aug 29, 7:44am
+1 on the too expensive front. I actually like the Mondeo in manual, we had them for work cars, but no way for that price.
10K will get you a MK5 Golf with lower km's than that, its a significantly better car for the same money.
If we were talking $6000 I would be all for the Mondeo though.

franc123, Aug 29, 8:07am
There is an above average amount of labour involved as some of the front suspension and the subframe has to be completely removed, which is pretty normal these days. The expensive bit is in the form of some silly and fragile technology called a dual mass flywheel which needs to be replaced along with the actual clutch parts that wear, and the hydraulic cylinder that operates the clutch which is mounted within the bellhousing, or clutch casing if you like, instead of externally like they used to be. If either of these parts fail the whole job needs doing over again.

flack88, Aug 29, 9:28am
OK thanks ,slave cylinder in the bell housing,like a manual Saab !to easy on the outside.

unbeatabull, Aug 30, 2:24am
As franc said, front subframe, steering rack and lower susp arms, sway bar etc has to be dropped to do clutch.

Dual Mass flywheels don't have to replaced though as people say they do. They can be skimmed/machined if the surface is bad, and I've only ever seen two where there has actually been internal wear on the springs/rubbers inside the flywheel itself. Most replace with a Solid Flywheel if it needs replacing.

Doesn't have a slave cylinder as such, it is a hydraulic release bearing. They can be a pain to bleed up as well, sometimes you have to reverse bleed them to get them to work.

unbeatabull, Aug 30, 2:25am
And 10k is rather expensive as well. You should be able to get a much better example for that or a similar example for less then that.