Neither there both fords LOL

v8_mopar, Aug 22, 3:42am
xr8. any opinion

splinter67, Aug 22, 3:44am
The same

v8_mopar, Aug 22, 3:48am
hmmmm might need another opinion

hopie, Aug 22, 3:53am
personal preference. Manual is going to hold its value better IMHO.

I drive a manual V8, id never buy an auto as I like to "be in control" and have someting to do on longer drives, I.E change gears.

could always get the auto one shift kit it and a high stall then you'd be away

bellky, Aug 22, 4:05am
I don't know about BA Falcon but I like big motor in Auto.

Because when you've finished the day and are pretty well stuffed, you can just jump in your armchair on wheels and cruise without doing any work. By the time you get home you're feeling better, maybe a little refreshed.

Also big motored car doesn't need manual to perform.

unbeatabull, Aug 22, 5:20am
5 Speed Manual. I wouldn't bother with a 6Spd, they are geared to close together and you will spend too much time changing gear around town, it becomes a bit of a chore.

I'd look for either a 4spd Auto or 6spd Auto. The 5spd Auto's are ok when they're working, but not as reliable (Bands, clutchpacks etc common to crap out on them). Preferably a 6spd but I don't think they came out till BF

franc123, Aug 22, 5:48am
If most of the driving you do is urban you will eventually hate a manual one, Falcons have always IMO had a horrible clutch and gearchange action, no matter what gearbox is fitted, it quickly becones hard work.The autos are all tiptronic in BA upwards anyway so that allows as much involvement as you want to have in gearshifting, with the option of just letting it do its own thing of course in D.

trouser, Aug 22, 7:24am
I have a manual au3 vct xr6.

The clutch and gear change action are quite stiff. Not overly so, but certainly more than a jappa.

There is a bit of backlash in the drivetrain so it can be a bit 'shunty' if you are off the throttle and clunk when you get back on it.

The 2-3 gate is a bit notchy and can be a problem if you don't push the leaver to the right enough.

It can be a bit tiresome in town but I now start in first, rev that gear to about 2500 rpm and then shift to third then fourth. Due to the flexibility of the motor most turns can be achieved in third unless you need to stop.

It is a joy to drive on the open road though. The torque of the motor is such that you could leave it in 5th pretty much everywhere.

If most of your driving is stop-start I would personally choose an auto.

v8_mopar, Aug 22, 10:00am
Cheers all

was hopping to hear better things about the manual. I have driven an auto and will get to drive a manual tomorrow.

I do about 50/50 open road town driving.

I thought the auto changed gear to much on the hills but I guess this is why its not to bad on gas

franc123, Aug 22, 10:16am
It really comes down to personal preference, you will know within a few km whether its right for you or not.As was said above it can be a bit of an art to drive one smoothly without drivetrain shunt, you've got to be careful with throttle reapplication, especially if you have been used to smaller cars, I presume by your username that this isn't the case ;)

bevharris1938, Aug 22, 10:18am
If your buying a BA , go for the manual , if your buying a BF go for the AUTO , they are awesome boxs, better than MAN. Mine is great , check it out.

chris_051, Aug 22, 10:28am
There were no 5 spd autos so disregard whoever made that post above. If you go auto first thing to do will be an external cooler. The autos are very tall geared the 6s will do 100 in 1st and 150 in 2nd the v8s a bit less personally I'd go BF and get the 6 spd auto or manual plus they come with the steel timing chain tensioners from factory not crap plastic ones in BA which can fail early.

pnh4, Aug 22, 10:33am
Auto" better for towing, ram raiders.

luke041, Aug 22, 10:16pm
Well we have two 5 speed autos in our workshop at the moment, so you may need to check your facts out.

chris_051, Aug 22, 11:44pm
Lol if you say so but stop spreading wrong info again there were no 5 spd autos in anything but FG. Maybe you need to distinguish the difference between the torque convertor lock up and taking a full gear.

bellky, Aug 22, 11:48pm
Thanks for that^. I've a BTR 4 speed in mine but it changes 4 times so seems like it has 5 gears, guess that's why.

luke041, Aug 23, 3:10am
Sorry you are right forgot we were only taking about BA. Yes these are FG and I know the different between a 4 speed with L/U and a 5 speed.

unbeatabull, Aug 23, 5:30am
You are WRONG!

5 Speed Auto's, same box as what's in the Explorers minus the transfer case. Came out in BA-BF and the first base model FG's. Phased out same time as the 4spd was to be replaced by the 6 speed ZF Trans.

They are few and far between, they were an option and generally I've only found Lease companies and the odd taxi have them.

unbeatabull, Aug 23, 5:36am
Very first BA's didn't have them but the later ones and BF's did.

bwg11, Aug 23, 7:04am
I would go auto with the V8, I've not driven any later than AU with a manual box, but the gearchange then was very ordinary, certainly no sportscar box.

luke041, Aug 23, 7:55am
Thanks I thought I had seen them in a BA but thought I might be going crazy. Just have to wait for chris to say sorry now.

chris_051, Aug 23, 11:10am
Again, the only Falcon to get a 5 speed auto were the very first base model FGs before the ZF6 became standard, all BAs had the Aussie BTR 4 speed you guys are on something good but please do stop spreading wrong information.

franc123, Aug 23, 11:38am
I've only ever seen a 5 speed in a FG ute XLS model from memory, never seen either BA or F with one, all BA's were cable shift 4 speeds except for the XL utes with column shift.The 5spd was unmistakeable as it had manual band adjusters on the casing, something that the ZF6 obviously doesn't have and the BTR4LE hasn't had for many years.Yechhh if its related to that 5R55 exploder trans you'd avoid it.