Water sucked through air filter- Bad or lucky

vandewc, Aug 21, 6:33am
Hi
I took my boys to the river on sunday and because I didn't have my snorkel connected properly and when I drove fast through a puddle it sucked water through the air filter.
The engine stalled. I cleaned out the water from the air filter chamber and started the truck ok. It blew out a load of black sludge out the exhaust.

Since then it has gone great and doesn't seem to be blowing out black sludge.

Is there still a chance I could have wrecked my truck!

Cheers

NZTools, Aug 21, 6:37am
Petrol or Diesel!

morrisman1, Aug 21, 6:38am
you've just washed it!

If you had wrecked it you would know. It would likely have thrown a rod out the side of the block, or at least make it banana shape. Ive seen a Nissan GA14DS engine which had four banana shaped conrods from sucking in a gulp of water at full noise. They have forged conrods from memory.

intrade, Aug 21, 6:39am
you could have wrecked it instantly as Water wont compress. I know of a guywho drove his v8 bmw to a tini wee puddle and it stalled straight after. It destroyed part of the engine car cost 8 grand engine repair was 5 after the puddle

berg, Aug 21, 7:15am
Best I've seen is an Isuzu truck that pulled the main cap bolts out of the block due to hydraulic. Lol, never try tow starting a drowned truck

johnf_456, Aug 21, 8:31am
It will be fine, if you are really worried do a oil change encase its contaminated.

vandewc, Aug 22, 3:13am
diesel

bellky, Aug 22, 3:17am
You were lucky - gave it a de-carbonising is all.

lugee, Aug 22, 3:50am
I would just take it for a hoon, get the engine nice and hot to burn off any water sitting around before it starts corroding things,

hopie, Aug 22, 3:57am
+1 on the hoon, lucky it didnt cause Hydro lock. as said above once a cylinder fills with water, the compression stroke jams or ???locks??? the engine (because water does not compress) and the engine cannot spin.

vandewc, Aug 26, 9:20am
I saw a big horn at the Darfield Mud plug today. Go under and suck a . load of water in. It got pulled out and still ran the rest of the days events.