Audi Allroad 2.7T

haventrader, Aug 24, 6:12am
Drove one today and really enjoyed it. Any negatives on these cars! Do the hydraulics play up at all! Everything seemed to work OK, drove well etc. Slight vibration at full lock but I suppose this is the AWD! Would like to hear from owners. Cheers

00quattro00, Aug 24, 6:30am
They have air bags, the compressors and air bags fail and are quite expensive, alot of people just replace them with standard coil springs, the 2.7 twin turbo is quite reliable, just a bit of a bitch to work on, if the turbos need replacing its an engine out job, uses just as much gas as the 4.2 v8, they also came with a 2.5 24v v6 tdi, just make sure it has been serviced reguraly as they have been known to eat their camshafts, Also consider just the standard a6 if you dont need the high ground clearence as they are cheaper and dont have air bags

bex25388, Aug 24, 7:44am
I like European cars and Audis in particular, but those Allroads are one i would not touch. Check out the Allroad and 2001 A6 2.7T reviews which are a similar vehicle they are horrific i have never seen such bad reviews.

http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/audi/

thejazzpianoma, Aug 24, 8:47am
I agree with quattro above but be a bit cautious with carsurvey, while it may be correct in this instance it can just be a place where people whinge because they have done stupid things or their local dealer is no good.

It dosn't sound like you are too fussed with it being 4WD so the regular A6 might be just the ticket. The normal A6 has regular suspension and much the same engine but without the turbo's so basically is the same car but without the expensive weak points. Great value for money too.

You can still get 4WD in the A6 too (Quattro) but you still have the standard ride height.

Best of luck with it, I think you are heading in the right sort of direction. If you get serious about an A6 come back for some tips on picking a good one and some advice regarding servicing. Happy shopping.

BTW, we have an Allroad in the family and have had two A6's.

haventrader, Aug 24, 7:48pm
Thanks guys. Was attracted to it because of the practicality- assuming it remains reliable. If I do go for it, I'll be off-loading a Bmw 330i which has been brilliant the past few years. The AWD is something I would like- probably an overkill in most instances, but the excuse to the missus is either that, or wait and sit in a crowded bus to the top of Whakapapa each year.Cheers

thejazzpianoma, Aug 24, 10:01pm
If its just for skiing a regular 4WD A6 should do the job just fine. There are A6 Quattro Wagon'sthat are every bit as luxurious so you are really just losing the potentially unreliable bits (The 3.0 Wagons are my favorite), that would be what I would be doing. Up to you though, you know the weak points, I was a lot more keen on the allroad when they were a bit newer.
Happy shopping.