Speeding ticket advice

morrisman1, Aug 23, 7:16am
Without doing the whole "you do the crime, you pay the fine" bullturd that some will say by default Id like some advice on a recent speeding ticket.

Scenario (as accurate as I can):
Driving along road, shortly after changes from 100km/h zone to 70km/h zone. About 400m past sign. Come around corner have 80 showing on speedo. See cop and slow to speed limit which is where I was heading to anyway. My house, about 500m up the road from here. I pull into my driveway and as I do that I see cop doing u-turn. Back section so cop couldn't see car. I could see he was looking for me though

15 mins later jump in car and go out driving. Bump into same cop. He pulls me up and issues a ticket for 82 km/h. Ticket seems filled out correctly but time is for when he pulled me up, not the time of offence. I ask to see readout, he could not produce.

Questions: 1: Can he issue a ticket in retrospect! 15mins, 30mins, 5 days! Where does it stop! Is he able to issue a ticket in these circumstances!

Question 2: With the time being different to what was the situation is this also a point where I can argue!

Yes, to those who will hate, I probably was speeding but I know from the speed signs (multiple of them) that my car's speedo over-reads by 5km/h at 70 km/h so at 80 km/h would be about 6 km/h fast. I do not believe I was going as fast as accused.

sw20, Aug 23, 7:18am
All he needs is a time, place and speed and he can issue you with an infringement. Whether it sticks if you choose to fight it, is a different story.

msigg, Aug 23, 7:21am
Sorry but yes he can.By all accounts he is still looking for you. Think about it.

gunhand, Aug 23, 7:21am
Hey, if an off duty cop can send you a ticket in the mail for an offence they see you doing then your doomed.

metzeler, Aug 23, 7:25am
". I could see he was looking for me though

15 mins later jump in car and go out driving. Bump into same cop. He pulls me up and issues a ticket for 82 km/h."
Gee make it easy for him why dont you.lol maybe in retrospect not the brightest thing to do.

morrisman1, Aug 23, 7:28am
Hindsight is 20/20. I was in a mish, had a couple hours to get a clutch done on a car so couldn't waste much time waiting for my 5 stars to disappear

a.woodrow, Aug 23, 9:36am
Haha don't you know you are supposed to whip into a drive-through paint shop then you're in the clear.

pc_evo, Aug 23, 9:47am
Step 1 pay lawyer (probably more than the fine!) to write to the infringements bureau, make sure he asks to know when the HAWK on the cops car was calibrated. with receipt. If it wasnt done within 31 days of said incident, not ticket for you. he can also mention about said incident, see how you go. however. i know what the bureau will say, and it goes a little something like this "the officer saw what he saw, you get a ticket".

Got a fine when i was 17 for liable to cause damage or annoyance for driving down a main street on saturday night (11pm) with an averagely loud exhaust, cop checked whole car, coudlnt find something wrong, said fines in the mail, i said for what, youll find out, boom $800 later. wrote away, NOPE, he saw what he saw, what it was he saw they could not explain.

Revenue. That is all

moosie_21, Aug 23, 9:51am
lol +1 or just steal a tank and rampage til you die.

bitsy_boffin, Aug 23, 10:18am
You've basically got 2 choices.

1: Pay the fine.
2: Go to court, and probably still pay the fine.

I think I'd just chalk it up to experience and move on with life.

klrider, Aug 23, 7:50pm
What they should do is issue tickets only to those people they catch speeding, who are going to have an accident in the next week or so, this will hopefully slow then down enough to avoid the accident they were going to have.now all they need is that gear that Tom Cruise had about pre crime, Minority report I think, so they can see into the future.That way, its not revenue gathering, or is it! Im so confused.

the-lada-dude, Aug 23, 7:52pm
put a wing on it and toddle of to church for 1/2 an hour

bid-warz, Aug 23, 8:22pm
sorry but you were speeding and have to just suck this one up

raymond00001, Aug 23, 9:08pm
Suck it up and pay the fine. If at anytime you confessed to speeding ie:" Yeah i know i was going a bit quick but didn't think it was that much" etc then going to court will be pointless. The court will not consider any claim of radar inaccuracy/cop lying etc without some stellar evidence from a highly credible witness.
I had a ticket from highway patrol and the cop wrote down wrong rego number, wrote a letter in and got a nasty letter back saying the rego number wasn't "an ingrediant in the offending" (WTF at those words, someone demoted from drug-squad!) and that "all reference to the wrong rego has been deleted from our records."

poppajn, Aug 23, 9:25pm
I had a DIC years ago, on the infringment notice it said one street, in court the officer said a different street. Made no difference, I was over the limit thus committed an offence, where I done it was irrelevent.

pitchey, Aug 24, 12:13am
Incorrect, cops radar units are calibrated every 12 months as I recall, also, if you wanted to have those documents you would have to be defending the ticket in JP's Court.

elect70, Aug 24, 3:17am
THey can do what they like its up to you to defend it, guiltyuntil can prove innocence

ksam, Aug 24, 4:17am
How much is the fine!

ozz1, Aug 24, 5:50am
if its the same cop that did skids up your drive waya few weeks ago. id be asking what did i do to piss him off!.