Powdercoating steel wheels

lukey22, Aug 13, 3:12am
some one told me this is not a good idea ,and to just 2pcc paint them, what are your opinions on this cheers tony

rob_man, Aug 13, 3:25am
Great until there's the slightest chip or crack due to flexing, then the water gets behind and travels, and travels, and travels.
Paint is the better option with a good etch primer.

cuda.340, Aug 13, 3:29am
just dont paint the edge where the tyre fitters levers go, it chips the paint n looks bad, mask an edge around this zone.

bellky, Aug 13, 3:40am
I used to have them they were fine - just make sure tyre fitters pad their machines and be careful.

jenny188, Aug 13, 5:07am
To powder coat, the wheels are heated to high temperatures. They glow bright red/ orange. This can cause some distortion or warping. It may effect the balance and roundness or "true" of some wheels. Note I said "may" and "some".

andrew241, Aug 13, 7:19am
Where you get your powder coating done! what have you been licking!

rod-zone, Aug 13, 7:42am
MMmmmmmm.165 degrees doesnt glow the wheels!

we sand blast and powder coat ALOT of stuff.powder coating is porous so absorbs moisture so unless there is a really really good primer applied or a phosphorus coating added i'd never powder wheels,also once they are powdered they cant be blasted clean again as the it becomes to difficult.A good 2pac automotive paint is perfect,we do it all the time and never have any issues

lukey22, Aug 13, 11:36pm
ok thanks for all that info cheers everyone

serf407, Aug 14, 12:54am
Another way is to grit blast the steel wheels then hot dip galvanise them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanization e.g http://www.mcwheels.co.nz/

elect70, Aug 14, 2:53am
rubbishif applied it at that temp it would blisterimmediatly. I seen it done.Powder coating is cheap providedwheels are spotlessly clean first. . Sets rock hardresistsscratch ing& stone chipping.Just dont curb them .

jenny188, Aug 14, 4:32am
14 Nov 2010 ??

dunedin_moto, Aug 14, 5:11am
We never had our powder oven over 180deg when I worked for ProCote in Dunedin. Majority of our work was for Yunca.never seen a panel or flue etc come out glowing.
Did many wheels, including 2 sets of my own without any issues.
Or enameling oven was an entirely different story.

bellky, Aug 14, 5:57am
"Or enameling oven was an entirely different story"

dunedin_moto, Aug 14, 6:37am
OOOOHHHH! BURN! You really got me there.

yudasgoat2000, Aug 14, 8:23am
Why not try to electroplate zinc onto them! It gives a smoother finish.

bellky, Aug 14, 8:24am
What are you nuts or something! I was quoting you. Don't be so paro.

flashgordon_nz, Aug 14, 10:43am
I dunno. I got my truck rims properly blasted back to bare metal, then straight down to the powder coaters, where they zinc! them, powder coat them, and clear them (so I'm told). 2 years, multiple rubber changes, and they are still looking great!
Also have had done a few sets of rally car rims, and was impressed how the powdercoating stood up to the gravel rash from rallying. Powdercoating gets the big thumbs up from me, but i got them all blasted properly first. and sat them for a good 2-4 weeks before getting rubber fitted up.

elect70, Aug 15, 1:59am
Baked enamel is differentstoryfor hi temp applications to powder coat

opos, Aug 15, 2:18am
water and nuts keep ears ready

lukey22, Aug 19, 10:15pm
cheers everyone

andrew1954, Aug 22, 10:14am
I think this post has got its temperature units "in a twist"180 degrees C and 480 degrees F !Nothing gets red hot. I do powder coating in my shed and use an old wall oven to cure it

fordkiwi27, Aug 22, 10:25am
yep. farenheit.