What is the difference between Police steel wheels

modie61, Jan 8, 6:55pm
and normal steel wheels on a VZ Commodore !

dvince, Jan 8, 7:07pm
I had "police rims" on my VL. They were just stock wheels from a VR.

modie61, Jan 8, 7:30pm
How wide were they !

dvince, Jan 8, 7:38pm
I dont remember. I think I had 215's on them. Maybe they wernt cop rims, everyone else thought they were tho as they stand out on the VL.

lordv81, Jan 8, 7:46pm
They were wider than the standard rims,7inches wide.Not every police car had them though.

modie61, Jan 8, 7:49pm
Yea ok,do they come in 16x7 or only 15x7 !

jokerboss, Jan 8, 8:13pm
they are more replaceable when they drive over curbs chasing bad guys than mags, which would cost the tax payer even more money

bellky, Jan 8, 8:29pm
i saw some yesterday - they looked standard to me, just fatter tyres

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 8, 9:46pm
Yep, and unlike alloy wheels damage is obvious. Alloys can get cracked without obvious distortion but steel wheels you have to almost demolish to get a crack.

modie61, Jan 9, 1:12am
So are they built heavier than a standard wheel ! Are they the same offset as a standard wheel !
There is a set on here for sale,but they look just like a normal wheel. I have asked the seller what the difference is,so i will wait and see.

hi-ling, Jan 9, 1:45am
The police used the Ute Rims as they were 15x7" and had the Heavy Duty Bands with slightly more offset so offered a slight handling increase for Police when driving hard, also and more importantly to the Police was the fact the Ute Rims also had a larger Safety Bead on the Rim that offered extra protection against the Tyres rolling off of the Rims.
the police used the Ute Rims as they were 15x7" and had the Heavy Duty Bands with slightly more offset so offered a slight handling increase for Police when driving hard, also and more importantly to the Police was the fact the Ute Rims also had a larger Safety Bead on the Rim that offered extra protection against the Tyres rolling off of the Rims.
So the next time some wally proudly tells all his mate "I have Police Rims" ask him if theyre 7" wide!
If they're original Police Pursuit Rims they actually have it stamped into the rim, (15x7 jj)

hi-ling, Jan 9, 1:47am
Also II believe the ute/police rims on Commodores have the centres fully welded to the hoops/rims, not welded in a few spots like the normal steelies.

vpholdie, Jan 9, 9:34am
I changed a lot of tyres on police cars over the last few years all the standard 15" wheels were the same as a standard commodore.

fordcrzy, Jan 9, 9:41am
+1
i think they were the wheels fitted to the "1 tonners" they were definitly wider than standard