Recommended hatchback 1300cc

Page 1 / 5
homestead_tm, Aug 18, 2:30am
I have approx $7000-7500 budget. I have looked at Honda Fit but the CVT has put me off. Toyota Vitz has a really short bonnet. I am now looking at Mazda Demio, and other than that, I am totally lost. Any ideas!

vtecintegra, Aug 18, 2:34am
Isn't a short bonnet a good thing for a city car!

Anyway you say the CVT puts you off, but its not like the conventional autos in other models are great either - why not look at manuals!

kazbanz, Aug 18, 2:36am
Homestead you can't go wrong with the 2002-2005 demio -good car.
But some suggestions for you in the same price bracket.
2002-2004 Suzuki swift
2002-2004 Chevrolet Cruize-(actually a rebadged swift)
2005-2006 Suzuki Solio
2000-2003 Nissan Cube
1999-2005 Toyota funcargo
1992 Nissan Micra/march
You might also like the Toyota passo
All of those cars have a camchain -so no cambelt to replace -all have Central lock,air conditioning,dual air bags (at least) and ABS brakes

homestead_tm, Aug 18, 2:37am
I can't drive a manual, so auto it is!
My concern with a short bonnet is much much protection in a crash.

kazbanz, Aug 18, 2:40am
Vtec the issue is that the fit transmission is KNOWN to fail rather than might sometime

homestead_tm, Aug 18, 2:43am
Thanks Kaz! I will have to look those models up. Any experience with any of them!

mugenb20b, Aug 18, 2:46am
That's nothing to worry about. A car with a short bonnet doesn't mean it's less safe than cars with longer bonnets.

vtecintegra, Aug 18, 2:47am
And the issue with conventional autos in such small cars is they are terrible to drive and ruin fuel economy.

kazbanz, Aug 18, 2:49am
I have sold all of them with total confidence.With the exception of isolated minor issues all of them have proven over time to be utterly reliable and other than the normal stuff (oil/tyres/brake pads etc) have so far (Up to 7 years from sale) proven to be maintainance free.

mugenb20b, Aug 18, 2:51am
Fair enough, I hate manuals myself. Why don't you go and visit Millars Car Centre and see what they can do for you!

kazbanz, Aug 18, 2:52am
That is your personal opinion. Theres millions who disagree with you.

homestead_tm, Aug 18, 2:56am
Are you still selling cars Kaz! I am thinking I should pay you a visit!

homestead_tm, Aug 18, 2:58am
and thanks for the suggestion Mugen

kazbanz, Aug 18, 3:04am
Im sorry homestead Im not allowed to say anything on the messsage boards as its self promotion.

mugenb20b, Aug 18, 3:07am
No worries, have a chat to the owner of Millars Car Centre.

homestead_tm, Aug 18, 3:08am
I see you are a toilet seat repair man - any 1300cc ones! I just need it to get to my crappy job

kazbanz, Aug 18, 3:19am
Could I suggest you don't limit yourself to 1300cc Only because some 1500cc models are economical and might be in your budget.

homestead_tm, Aug 18, 3:29am
My thought behind the 1300cc is fuel - would you say there is a big difference between then petrol-wise!

And thanks again for all your input - it is very much appreciated to someone who has little/no car knowledge.

bellky, Aug 18, 3:34am
Yep go to Millers Car Centre. Kazbanz has been using this MB as a captive audience to get business for ages.

mugenb20b, Aug 18, 3:39am
Depends on the car. Often, a small engine has to work hard to make the car move, so will use a bit of fuel. A slightly larger engine in the same car will be a bit more "relaxed" and won't have to work as hard, so will use a bit less fuel (don't forget, air conditioning and power steering put a load on the engine too). However, fuel economy depends on many other factors too, so in your case, there may be no difference at all, whether it's a 1300 or a 1500cc engine.

jmma, Aug 18, 3:45am
Thats low, even by your standards )o:

mantagsi, Aug 18, 3:48am
Strangely enough, you never see any complaints about Kazbanz or the cars from Millers. A sensible person would conclude that perhaps Kazbanz is actually a decent dealer, and I guess there will always be some folks who have to knock Kazbanz purely because it is fashionable to knock dealers, no matter who. No surprises here though!

mugenb20b, Aug 18, 3:52am
The only someone who has no knowledge around here is poster #19, so please ignore him. He's depressed.

jmma, Aug 18, 4:01am
Just quoting so you don't edit (o:

Life looks after good guys.
Don't get sucked in Kaz, this lowlife is not worth it.

kazbanz, Aug 18, 4:01am
Homestead it really is down to what kind of driving you are doing.
The modern 1300cc VVTi engine IMO is only a tiny bit down on power compared to the 1990's 1500cc but for stop -start in town stuff is a winner because even a V12 6.0l monster wont go any faster.
For traffic work I feel a 1300 is fantastic for 1-2 people.Peppy enough to get away from the lights or away from an intersection smartly but frugal at the pump.If you do a bit more long distance stuff then a 1500 is better
My comment re 1500cc is that the fuel economy is on average only a bit lessthan a 1300.