Are the Nissan Wingroads simular to the Nissan AD

Page 1 / 2
jean.genius, Aug 16, 10:45pm
in boot space and petrol economy!

I'm looking for a family car for 2 kids in carseats and prams in the boot, one that doesn't cost to much in petrol.

To be honest, I don't really care about looks.

Any other suggestions would be great.

jean.genius, Aug 16, 11:04pm
please!

thejazzpianoma, Aug 16, 11:27pm
The Wingroad is not a car to consider if economy is a consideration. While you get variances with year/engine etc overall they are pretty rubbish economy wise. They are also over hyped and over priced for what they are, car dealers loved them because there was money to be made in them, as a consumer though they are pretty awful.

Whats your budget!

There are plenty of other great cars to choose from.

mugenb20b, Aug 17, 12:13am
It's the same car, identical in size. The only difference is, the AD is a commercial vehicle that has no features (poverty pack.).

jean.genius, Aug 17, 12:23am
5 - 6K

thejazzpianoma, Aug 17, 12:52am
You can get a lot of car for that.

My first pick would be a Fiat Multipla diesel, unfortunately there are none on here at the moment but they are worth the wait if you have the time.

The Fiat is going to cost you around half the price of running some of the other options (including RUC). Its got plenty of go, nice to drive, good safety features, loads of room and is a nice easy height for loading youngsters into car seats. You have loads of room in the back for strollers. Its easier to drive around town than the likes of the Wingroad's too, no blind spots, better visibility and shorter so easy to park. Parts are cheap and easy to get and they are very reliable with long service intervals and minimal service requirements.

You should be able to get a really tidy well looked after example of around 2002 - 2003 vintage for your budget.

I have had mine for over 100'000km and its been a brilliant ultra cheap to run practical vehicle.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 17, 1:10am
BTW, to give you a bit more info on the Wingroads. The 1.5's are the engines to go for if you want any kind of economy, 1.8 and 2.0's are brutal on fuel. Trouble is you are generally going to be looking at high km examples of the 1.5 in your budget and they are still a lack luster over priced vehicle for what they are.

Just thought I would mention it before someone comes along to correct me.

Best of luck with your search.

trdbzr, Aug 17, 1:18am
The AD is a watered down Wingroad. Its made more for delivery guys/couriers/tradies etc. I suggest getting the Wingroad instead of the AD since its a family car. If you are looking at Wingroad's then also look at the Pulsar.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 17, 1:23am
Another one that might suit you well is the Volvo V40, its not going to be as amazingly economical as the Multipla but it will hold its own with the similar Japanese options.

The advantage with the V40 is that you tend to get a LOT of car for your money and finding a NZ new one in nice condition for your budget is normally fairly easy.

Safety, comfort and reliability is huge with the V40, non-service parts are a bit pricey but its very rare to need anything that isn't a regular service item because they are one of the most reliable cars on the road.

Another advantage is they usually have built in child booster seats. Once your kids are in that age group (about 3 - 10years from memory) it saves the hassle of mucking about with aftermarket seats. The seats convert from regular to booster really quickly and easily. Just check the law though, they might have to be 5 to be used legally.

trdbzr, Aug 17, 1:32am
Some other good options are Pulsar, Corolla, Familia, Civic etc. Main thing is to look at expired auctions and see how much they sell for to guage market value as some sellers are very unrealistic about price. Also before buying a car, make sure to google its model and engine number to see what common issues they have. Also if you find one you really like at a good price, then contact Car Inspection Services and get them to do a full pre-purchase inspection.

tgray, Aug 17, 1:40am
Poster asks a question about Nissan Wingroads and someone suggests she buys a Fiat Multipla diesel!
Poster, please ask a few mechanics about the cars mentioned here before making a decision.
A Nissan wagon like the ones you mentioned are fine vehicles and will give you many years of trouble free motoring.
I have owned both and can attest to this.
I won't post anymore because it will just get personal, and this is really all about you, and NOT the difference of opinions of regular contributors who clearly are worlds apart in what they perceive as good, reliable vehicles.

trdbzr, Aug 17, 1:47am
+1 do go and talk to people who's job it is to fix cars for a living, not fanboys

skyblue17, Aug 17, 2:05am
Mechanics are the worst people to ask. They can be heavily prejudiced and at the end of the day only have an opinion like anyone else. They only see the broken ones, not the thousands of trouble free cars on the road.

motorboy2011, Aug 17, 3:09am
acually she did say she doent care what it looks like and other suggestions would be appreciated, so someone was obviously going to suggest a Multipla

trdbzr, Aug 17, 3:11am
Yeah they only see the broken ones. So they have a much better idea of what is generally much more reliable.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 17, 3:33am
Any competent mechanic that has actually worked on a Multipla will tell you how reliable they are. The Fiat 1.9 would have to be about the most well proven and reliable common rail diesel money can buy.

That family of Fiat Diesels not only powers countless Fiat and Alfa passenger and commercial vehicles but it also powers many other manufacturers products, like the Suzuki Swift.

The rest of the Multipla is about as straight forward and reliable as modern cars come. To try and knock one on reliability or similar is just pure ignorance from those who have likely never even sat in one.

The Volvo V40 is more sophisticated but also good. As I said its about the most reliable propercar (as in not dangerous, featureless shopping basket) of its age. They are pretty straight foward to work on, parts are available easy enough. The only catch with the Volvo are that some parts are a bit dearer than some makes (not a big deal in the scheme of things).

Hang, even the AA highly recommend them as a "safe buy".

Of course used import car dealers and trolls just don't like anything suggested that isn't Japanese, especially if someone dares to point out that those options are better.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 17, 3:37am
Here are the reliability ratings of both vehicles.

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/52 http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/258 Basically any rating under 100 is quite acceptable, the lower the number the better it is.

I would post the rating for the Wingroad but as its a global Orphan and really only intended for the Japanese market as a cheap tradesman's wagon that could also be used as a family car. There is no rating for it. So here is a similar age Nissan Primera to give you at least some idea of how Nissan product of the age measures up.

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/144

trdbzr, Aug 17, 3:49am

thejazzpianoma, Aug 17, 5:03am
I assume with this that you are trying to insinuate that there are a few other cars with slightly better ratings than the V40!

If you were familiar with the website you would realise that cars shuffle up and down a bit quite often. The S40/V40's however while slightly higher at the moment have been known to consistently spend long periods right at the top.

There was even some discussion on here a year or two back when the S40 was in the top 3 and the only two above it were a couple of ultra basic 90's go carts.

There are other sources too like the AA who rate them as about as good as you can get.

trdbzr, Aug 17, 5:07am
I never said the Volvo was a bad car. I was pointing out your blatant cherry picking. You went and found the only bad rating Nissan you found to somehow (misleadingly) try to show Nissan as being an unreliable brand. No doubt that Nissan does have some lemons that I have gladly warned people to stay away from, but cherry picking and showing a car that does not share its engine or chassis with a Wingroad is just plain stupid.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 17, 5:14am
Get over yourself,
I wasn't trying to say the Nissan was unreliable at all simply pointing out that the others rated well too. If you actually read the post instead of rushing in to troll you would have even seen that I even said any car under 100 was plenty reliable right above the link to the Nissan.

I simply picked the closest relative to the Wingroad that I could see on the list.

I won't be responding to you any more in this thread. You are just as always only wasting my time as I attempt to correct your silly nonsense in an effort to keep things fair to the OP.

trdbzr, Aug 17, 5:16am
You do realize that people who have differing opinions aren't trolls right!

Going by your logic, National should be labeling Labour and Greens as 'trolls'.

kazbanz, Aug 17, 5:21am
jean-6k isn't going to buy you a decent late model car but for a family I'd suggest having a look at the Toyota Spacio. 97-2000 model.
They ARE a toyota corolla but with a lot more space inside
A new shape wingroad in your price range is likely to be high milage or damaged.
I must say I was rabbidly anti Thenissan 1800 cvt/tiptronic version
But the 2006 or later really is nice and despite our euro salesmans commentI having actually driven one for some distance and found iut to be quite economical.

bastardsquad, Aug 17, 6:57am
thejazzpianoma wrote:
BTW, to give you a bit more info on the Wingroads. The 1.5's are the engines to go for if you want any kind of economy, 1.8 and 2.0's are brutal on fuel. Trouble is you are generally going to be looking at high km examples of the 1.5 in your budget and they are still a lack luster over priced vehicle for what they are.

I bought a 2005 AD wagon with 103K km on the clock for $6000 about a month ago. 1.5 L auto does 600km on 45L of 91 octane for regular running around = 13.3 km/L, probably better on long trips. It's plain, boringbut does what I want for just running around. Offers great value - looking at close to 10K for most S/W that age/km's.

For what it's worth, I sold a '96 orthia S/W to buy this, and got $1850 for the '96 wagon. Wouldn't pay 5K for a '96-'99 S/W.

kazbanz, Aug 17, 7:01am
oh the other one is thenissan expert--same concept but based on the avenir. Or the Toyota Probox