Luxury cars safety record

friendly_prawn, Aug 15, 6:12am

jason_247, Aug 15, 6:16am
since when is a c class, a4 or 3 series a luxury car!

i maintain that a 2 ton euro tank off the bat is only having to absorb half the crash force of a 1 ton jap box

physics makes it so

a smart roadster scores a 5 star rating on frontal impacts but i would rather be in the 7 series bmw from 1990 that scores 2 stars if they hit each other head on

frontal impact tests dont take into account the potential weight difference between you and the car you hit.

smac, Aug 15, 8:12am
I wouldn't. The old stuff disintegrates, and the cabin intrusion is what kills you. Pedals up y'jacksie, doors that won't open, all very ugly.

pollymay, Aug 15, 9:33am
What the article seems to skip is that although they score poorly they don't really hit on how the small cars did either, many of them can fold like a deck of cards as well. You are basically sending the full force of collision through much less collapsible metal which amounts to bad things in any vehicle. Assuming head on with another car it still has some to do with mass difference and sheer metal density.

If it's a tree you're on your own with that, those things don't move.

pebbles61, Aug 15, 9:44am
Wait! people actually care about safety ratings for cars!!.Hell I'm thinking of taking the seat belts out of back fine mine soon!

pebbles61, Aug 15, 10:00am
minus the 'fine', one too many beers!