SUBARU'S - so many of them around but hear bad.

Page 1 / 2
dallychic, Sep 18, 4:44am
Can someone please tell me why there are so many Subaru haters out there but there is still SO many of them around!

In particular the Legacy wagon - I would prob look for something non turbo 2WD.

miniclubmangt, Sep 18, 4:50am
Just got a TT Legacy RSK B4. Love it.

oddbits, Sep 18, 5:36am
Ive got a RSKB4 and have never had any mechanical & its great to drive, I dont know why so many people hate them because there are so many around .

ryanm2, Sep 18, 5:47am
you will be struggling to find a 2wd one, aren't they all 4wd (awd) or only the lowest spec will be 2wd.
I currently have a 98 TS-R b spec (ltd). Its been awesome, probably the best one we have owned, its also the lowest km one (113k) when purchased.
A lot of idiots are drawn to them as the turbo versions are powerful and cheap and this is where a lot of the haters come into play, a lot break because of these hoons due to lack of servicing and racing etc. Also, they are a pig to work on, even changing the plugs is a mission. But we will continue to own them, looking at upgrading to 03 / 05 2.0r wagon soon.

dallychic, Sep 18, 5:50am
So a 2L 4WD - economical!

ryanm2, Sep 18, 5:56am
Our subaru uses less petrol than our old M6 nissan primera, and CVT transmissions are meant to be economical. If you are looking at a legacy, get a non turbo, if possible low kms and see if its got a service history, you should be fine. They are not as economical as a 1300 corolla or a bike, but you can lug a lot of crap around in them, and you wont get stuck in snow in them (we did, arthurs pass in our old nissan bluebird, that little exercise cost $400 in hostel and train tickets to get out of there).

primemeat, Sep 18, 8:08am
I think from 93-94 on you wont find a 2 wheel drive Subaru. They started the whole all wheel drive thing then.

richard198, Sep 18, 8:09am
Good cars. Expensive to fix when they go wrong.

sifty, Sep 18, 9:21am
Being AWD and carrying the associated running gear and weight they're not cheap on fuel, but are as reliable as any other car. I suspect the failures come from being thrashed by tossers who neglect basic maintenance.
Have had non-turbo subies for the last decade, and had a great run.

bmwnz, Sep 18, 8:09pm
Part of the dislike comes from the boy racer image and the other from the horrible noise of their boxer engine. It sounds awful, like a Harley.

jamstew, Sep 18, 8:33pm
they sound beautiful if not overpiped and if its a turbo, much better than a honda or other cars that fart their way round. subies sound like baby V8's. (IMO)

hijacka, Sep 18, 8:46pm
It not a landcruiser Buddy. the running gear weighs fark all.
Non Turbo subarus are shit so don't even go there.

lookoutas, Sep 18, 9:06pm
Is that a suggestion to get a turbo!

I used mine like Landcruiser's

jojostuff, Sep 19, 6:18am
i have own three and i liked 2 of them

franc123, Sep 19, 6:32am
Its not the actual weight of the running gear thats the problem, driving it all is.Push any 4WD Subaru around by hand and see how hard it is, there is a heap of resistance through the drivetrain.Hence why turbos are needed to give them decent performance and fuel economy suffers whether you have a turbo or not.

hijacka, Sep 19, 12:12pm
I agree with that had to push afew of my own lol, but what i was getting at is the turbo models don't just get a turbo and engine, they also have stronger gearboxes, better clutches,better suspension thicker dia axles, bigger brakes etc which makes them a better choice or more bang for buck over a non turbo.

hijacka, Sep 19, 12:15pm
Are you in chch too! lol
Yeah i would suggest that:)

ryanm2, Sep 19, 7:00pm
you also get a much larger fuel bill. I have owned a couple of GT-B's 96 and 99, and a lot of non turbo (always the higher spec, VZ-R, and at the moment a TS-R) but i always got back to non turbo. They are way easier to sell as well. There are some really cheap GT-B's floating about because of this.

sifty, Sep 19, 9:13pm
Funny, as I only use it to carry the dog and fishing gear, and as I have a perfectly good penis I have never found it necessary to purchase a turbo version.

You may feel otherwise.

steve312, Sep 19, 11:40pm
Got an 1800cc 5 speed manual 2WD Impreza Sportshatch for my wife and it is a great car.Really cheap to run and scoots along well.Wife loves it!

jason18, Sep 20, 12:05am
I have the twin turbo 2lt Have found it not bad on gas as long as you dont fang it all the time. Also my penis is also perfectly good altho im not sure why you are talking penis sifty

dinosaw88, Sep 20, 2:13am
Cheap cars, cheap parts, cheap to run if its non turbo, plenty of room so easy as to work on, (people only ever moan about spark plugs just cos they're not sitting on top of the engine, but they're not hard at all). The more I work on other jap cars the more I love working on Subarus.
My only issue has been from too much boost, so my own fault. Goes hard though!
My non turbo has been the most reliable car I've ever owned.
I've owned 5 or 6 and would recommend them.

drew2009, Sep 20, 2:31am
You have got to be taking the piss.
Have you ever done a head gasket or cambelt/water pump/main seal replacement or a rebuild on a subaru engine!
I think they are ok cars as far as jappas go, the boxer performs ok, but i really HATE fixing them, even my honda 5 cylinder is easier to work on than a legacy.

dinosaw88, Sep 20, 2:36am
Motors come out easy as, whats hard about head gasket change! Bit harder than a 4k but most are.
And yeah its a pain having water pump behind cambelt but its not the end of the world and its not the only car like that.
Why would you rebuild a subaru motor! Just throw it away and put another $300-500 motor in it.

drew2009, Sep 20, 2:48am
By the time u get the engine out sure its easy to work on the top end, more the fact that you have to pull it out in the first place its alot of work compared to most cars.
Second hand engines are a good way to go for sure, rebuilds are more for the hotted up turbos if you want to go for forged internals, new bearings ect. It's not really worth rebuilding the lower spec ones.