4x4 light staying on dashboard

geminidragon, Sep 8, 7:44pm
97 izuzu bighorn 3.1 dieselautomatic ,ever since the previous owners and my self have owned the truck the little green 4 wheel drive indicator stays on the dash whick inlumiates in green colourits definetly in 2 wd and the 4wd works fine when engaged ,question is does anyone know where the sensor is located on the vehicle as i have looked around gear lever under truck and cannot find it,it not a big problem but if its an easy fix i would do itthanks

kazbanz, Sep 8, 8:00pm
black duct tape-problem solved.

matthew_129, Sep 9, 12:18am
Auto or manual locking front hubs! If auto could be indicating that the front hubs are not unlocking

nz2293, Sep 9, 12:20am
it will be around the trans i remember our work 1 you use to have to wriggle trans back and forward

treachug, Sep 9, 2:03am
Yep.have you backed back approx 2 mtrs after selecting 2wd! This disengages the hubs. Even though auto hubs, with Isuzu you still had to reverse 2 mtrs after selecting 2wd. The auto part of the auto hubs mean that if in auto you dont have to get out & manually turn to 2wd.

mrfxit, Sep 9, 2:10am
Yep even tho the hubs are auto on my Surf, I STILL back up a bit because I have been caught out in the past where the hubs have stuck on.

evotime, Sep 9, 2:14am
Haven't they got "shift on the fly" a sliding gear on the left side of the front diff! I could be wrong! If it does there will be another 22 or24mm filler plug to the left rear side of the diff head, hard to see and I can't remember how it works, but from memory a vacuume operated slide instead of free wheeling hubs

geminidragon, Sep 9, 8:07am
hmm it certainly engages the 4 wd when being selected as it gets me out of the mud ok when 2 wd would not ,i dont think that i,m driving arround in 4wd all the time or i would notice it ! or not ,put it this way once i,ve got out of the muddy stuff i select 2wd again and all is normal but hey ill try what you guys say and get back to you if the light goes out cheers

geminidragon, Sep 9, 8:08am
i have auto hubs

geminidragon, Sep 9, 8:21am
just tried the backing up thing after going from 4wd to 2 wd and light stayed on thanks anyway

treachug, Sep 9, 8:53am
Switch is on on transfer case - right hand side near front of case, part number 8971386320 callled transmission range indicator switch. Suits '11/95 on UBS Bighorns

treachug, Sep 9, 8:58am
Shift on the fly was introduced with '98 on Bighorns with 3.0L 4JX1 diesels & 6VE1 petrol

geminidragon, Sep 9, 9:24am
treachug is this a serviceable part

treachug, Sep 9, 9:36am
Yep, thats the part number - take it along to your local Holden dealer & see what its worth. Not sure if its the cure for your problem.but its the only switch on transfer case.
Part number may supersede but at least you aint gonna wait while they try to find the listing.lol

geminidragon, Sep 9, 9:49am
hey thanks i,m also looking for the switch that makes the beeper and reversing lights work , any ideas cheers

treachug, Sep 9, 9:57am
Damm, just shut the laptop down with the Holden parts program on it (now on desktop just checking emails). Have made myself a note to give you the part number - check back tomorrow night!

outbidyou2, Sep 9, 10:02am
Those models (bighorn, Mu) are pigs. Death to them ALL

fryan1962, Sep 9, 10:17am
my landrover discovery took a fair bit to unlock I used to back up go over uneven ground

hope you sort it

geminidragon, Sep 9, 7:24pm
i dont think its locked in 4wdbecausewhen i,m stuck in the mud in 2wd then select 4wd it pulls it out ,i then go and select it to 2wdand all back to normal other than the 4 wd light staying on

treachug, Sep 10, 9:11am
Reverse light switch (assuming its a manual) part # 8971659510.found on left side of box, just under quadrant box

geminidragon, Sep 10, 9:33am
thanks treachug but mines a auto :) do you have a number for that cheers

treachug, Sep 10, 9:48am
oh yeah.duh.just re-read your first post again.lol
Inhibitor switch is on the left side of the trans, look for where the shift rod attaches to the trans. Unsure if the switch is a good number in nz but worth checking. Part number should be 8960176200. Not cheap im picking.second hand may be better option!