Engine Stands

mig5, Sep 7, 7:21am
Hi, looking at engine stands (not a cheap chinese job, am considering a wayco one but open to other recommendations) and just figuring outwhich to go for to hold a 6 cyl block - Will a 1000lb one do it ok or should i bite the bullet and go for a 2000lb job! I may want to hold a V8 further down the track.

Thanks in advance,

trader_84, Sep 7, 7:29am
You'll not regret going bigger where as you might if you go smaller .

tool_shop173, Sep 7, 8:19am
Most engine stands will ALL BE Taiwanese or Chinese.

howie69, Sep 8, 11:11pm
Suggest that you buy the larger one and look at some reinforcing if you get one anyway. As before nearly everything is Chinese or Taiwanese made now.

quickstitch, Sep 9, 12:31am
yeah the 2000 lb one is the go. the smaller ones flex under the weight of a small block cleveland, I got my 2000 lb stand from STA for about $180, i see someone has them on here for $165 (but the non fold away versions) but they come in ford blue, Wish i had got a blue one,

matthew_129, Sep 9, 12:34am
One trap i found with my wayco engine stand is that my wayco engine crane shares a similar leg width meaning that i cant get an engine from the crane to the stand. So i have to find an alternative method of lifting the engine onto the stand (or very carefully balance the cranes legs on top of the stands legs which is a bit dodgy)

shark574, Sep 9, 12:36am
Wayco import all of them from China.

mig5, Sep 9, 8:51am
Thanks all, I can accept the china thing, as long as it's well made or comes from a company that'll put a name on it and stand behind it if it shits itself. Thanks for the pointer on the leg widths matthew - not something I'd of thought to check.

pebbles61, Sep 9, 8:55am
I think the OP means not chinese made, but chinese made to an actual standard.

trader_84, Sep 9, 8:57am
Mate . it isn't the width - its the height of them (or lack of it) You will find that when you use an engine hoist to load the engine stand up . that the engine is sitting 'inside' the confines of the engine hoist. Meaning you need to get the hoist closer to the engine stand. This won't happen (easily or safely) with the ones I have seen due to the inability of the engines hoists legs to go under those of the engine stand. Try . you'll see what is meant.

mig5, Sep 10, 7:54am
cool, there's a homemade job on here I'm hoping to get, if not all good food for thought. cheers.

trader_84, Sep 10, 9:51am
Mig . you can use a typical trailer axle in most engine lifts also. The axles are usually around the 5 or 6mm wall thickness mark, so handle quite a bit. Put it this way . the hoist will usually flip due to being off balance before the tube bends. Getting one of the boys to stand on the base plate part of the stand sorts things out though. Dodgy sh1t though, haha! But I know someone else on here that has done it also . but the outta balance freaked me out so we ended up tracking the digger in and using that.

mrfxit, Sep 10, 11:04am
LOL you should try that with a free standing 2 post lifting frame, 2 meter high clearance.
Pulling a little too hard forwards on the chain when hauling the 186 motor & box out of the Victor

mrfxit, Sep 10, 11:06am
I don't like the look of those tiny wheels on those stands & lifters.
Can't see them lasting long with a bit of a hiding.
Would personally prefer bigger wheels & maybe rollers for the fronts

pnh4, Sep 10, 12:23pm
Chinese is best right now, price performance value for money, there said it.

sw20, Sep 10, 12:28pm
Buy a Snap On engine stand.

Then cry when you realise how much stuff made by people that speak English actually costs.