Trade gone bad.help please.

Page 1 / 2
302cortina, Sep 6, 6:29am
i listed my 640,000kms,diesel,d/c navara ute on here in june.the auction was $2500 start price and $2500 buy now.i also had my number listed.the ute got a warrent on the 17th of feb and the buy now was hit on the 15 of june.
A couple of days ago he rings me up and tells me that it falled a wof and wants me to sort it.
It failed on drivers door hinges,handbrake,exaust flexi leak,3 tyres,brake preportioning,drivers engine mount broken,left ball joint,power steering leak,secure spare tyre and no cert for the turbo.
the only thing i changed after the wof was to fit a turbo terrano engine witch bolted straight into it as the other engine was getting buggered.
i did not now you needed a cert for the turbo.
He hit the buy now without asking a question or ringing me or coming to cheak it out in person.I offered to drop it off to him as i was heading that way with an empty trailer.When i dropped it off before he gave me the money him and his mate cheaked the ute out,inside,under bonnet,under the deck,etc.He even gave me good feedback a few weeks after he got it.
Then today i get a txt saying to give the money back or fix the ute or he will be taking me to court.
So who do you think should fix the ute.!

attitudedesignz, Sep 6, 6:33am
Tell him to get stuffed, 15 June -6th Sept' is a big gap. His problem now.

grangies, Sep 6, 6:43am
For only $2500 he is beingtotally unreasonable.

Surely if he takes you to court, he'll be laughed at!

bitchwitattitud, Sep 6, 6:47am
Hmmmm Brake proportioning fail.Smells like vtnz to me :)

dr.doolittle, Sep 6, 6:54am
Ignore him.
If he calls you again, tell him you're taking HIM to court. That should do it.

splinter67, Sep 6, 6:56am
Unless he is a seven foot monster

taipan4, Sep 6, 6:58am
tell him go p##s up a rope and the time lapse june to sept had plenty of time to sort it &* as you say he asked no questions

friendly_prawn, Sep 6, 7:13am
Tell him with a big smile, you would like it to go to court. If he was silly enough to try that on he would fail miserably.

And send him a link to this thread.

The guy is being a right plonker.When buying a car its buyer beware.
He had the chance to check it out. Infact he did that. So whats the issue. He knew what he was buying.

Now months later after having all the use of it and thrashing it around he wants a refund. He's living on cloud 9.
Its months later. It's a private sale. He is being totally unrealistic.
If some one came back to me a day later with regrets after buying a vehicle, and if they were nice about it, I may, may,may, do them a favour and let them return it. Possibly!

But months later, he is just totally and utterly dreaming.

Hopefully showing himi this thread will make him realise just how unrealistic he is being.

msigg, Sep 6, 7:17am
I would not answer any txt or phone calls. Just forget about him. If you start dialoge it could get messy. Ignore.

patiki1, Sep 6, 7:31am
Tell Ralph,he's a loser.

net_oz, Sep 6, 7:37am
Maybe it could all turn to custard like this trade. http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/7498384/Trade-Me-car-sale-backfires

gammelvind, Sep 6, 7:45am
Different, purchased off a dealer. Irrelevant article.

cowlover, Sep 6, 7:59am
Love the comment in his last feedback - he bids whilst drunk.Suggest you tell him to ralph somewhere else.As others have said simply ignore him.If you say and do nothing it can't come back to bite you should he be stupid enough to try the court idea.

desmodave, Sep 6, 8:02am
ok club him then ignor .Be abit of digging if ya want to hide him

moosie_21, Sep 6, 8:14am
Seems to be a favourite pastime in this country, buying something then begging for a full refund 6 months down the track.

dr.doolittle, Sep 6, 8:26am
You could always tell him you've spoken to his mother & it's all sweet now.

mazalinas, Sep 6, 8:39am
Could the buyer get out of it 'cos of the WOF being over a month old when sold & nothing signed regarding this!
."You can take the following steps to protect yourself when buying privately:

Check the car has a WOF less than one month old. (Provided the buyer agrees in writing, sellers have the option of selling without a warrant or with a current warrant more than one month old. If the car is sold without a warrant, the buyer must undertake not to take the vehicle on the road except for the purposes of getting a new WOF.)" http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/car-buyers-rights

fryan1962, Sep 6, 9:02am
he may have had a sniff of that story, but was unable to comprehend different laws for private sale

tell him to have a nice life

austingtir, Sep 6, 9:22am
Things are getting pretty ridiculous when people think they have come backs on a privately sold car months after the transaction.Jeez you'd be lucky to get anything out of most people the next day let alone months.To me if i geta warrant on a car before i sell it and the buyer is happy on the spot its their problem from then on.Unless something obviously underhanded has gone on of course.

treachug, Sep 6, 9:26am
Similar thing happened to me a couple of months ago. I listed a car at $1 reserve (no wof, rego on hold) & let bidders decide.
Car sold for $550 (no-one came to view or enquired) early arvo on a saturday, picked up next day around 1pm (looked over car when picking up, asked couple of questions, said yep, shook my hand paid & drove off), then positive feedback received late arvo same day.
Received text following Tuesday night telling me car broken down, wants money back. New owner took for wof on the Monday & needed stuff done (around $1k he said). Various emails followed, refund money or go to tribunal etc, I replied once that I was seeking advice, got texted a couple of times with same 'offer'. Got a text one sunday morning telling me I was a gutless arXXhole for not replying.
As soon as I got that text the money was banked lol. Was buyers remorse we think, buyer needed car urgently, repairs were going to cost more than car worth.
One thing I did note was from dept of consumer affairs website. If item was purchased via buy-now buyer has rights, if item purchased via auction bidding, buyer beware, no come back.
My situation was in the space of a week or two - yours was over several months with no communication during that time - if you are going to reply, be polite & short. Tell him that you had no control over his actions with vehicle during that time or what the vehicle was subjected to.

cemotorco, Sep 6, 12:04pm
He purchased the vehicle from you as inspected. It was a private sale. Nothing to worry about.

ceebee2, Sep 6, 10:23pm
As all of the above BUT.do not reply to any txts unless you have a record of them because if he does decide to fruitlessly take you to the tribunal, ensure you have all transcripts of every conversation / email / txt. If he phones you avoid saying yes or no or anything that could be taped and taken against you. I think he is scare mongering at your expense.hes a @*^# head.

motorboy2011, Sep 6, 10:41pm
Did you disclose it was formally fitted with a non turbo and that you had then fitted a turbo! I'd be concerned he MAY be able to get you on is the new turbo motor. All the other problems would be hard for him to prove that they existed at the time he bought it from you, except the engine. He could argue that you had changed the motor after wof was issued, which in turn made the truck un-wofable. I assume you said it was woffed when you sold it, which technically would be untrue the moment the turbo motor was fitted. Putting the shoe on the other foot, id be a little pissed if I went to wof a car after buying it and then find out something not age/km/wear and tear related lead to it being failed. You were wrong to assume it did not require cert, and if he knew you had converted to turbo, he was also wrong to assume the same, which would really make you both in the wrong. Id be tempted to offer some sort of compensation with regards to that (say half of cert cost).

kazbanz, Sep 7, 12:00am
welcolm to my world-wont you come on in .
Op regardless of"he said/she said" etc if the buyer decides to take you to court then its down to DOCUMENTED facts.
Sorry to rain on everybodies parade
I would doubt very much the court will take issue with the other WOF issues -The biggie is that you fitted an engine that despite fitting in was not the engine for that vehicle. Ie you have modified the vehicle by fitting a turbo engine the vehicle diddn't come out with.
The exact words in the advert will be examinedto establish if you propperly covered of that issue.
If not they you may be held liable

motorboy2011, Sep 7, 12:24am
I see the auction says it is fitted with a motor from a lower km vehicle, then goes on to say its a motor from a turbo terrano, which is all true obviously. doesnt say anywhere it was orig non turbo. error by omission!