Engine oil additives

sasmax, Sep 5, 9:37am
After seeing a couple of auctions running with damage resulting from engine oil additives my vast experience in servicing vehicles from the 60's through to brand new $80-$90000 cars has taught me that the manufacturers recommended engine oil (grade and viscosity ie 10w40 or 10w30 etc) should be the only thing to go in an engine (with the exceptioon of some oil stabilising products for high oil consumption). Most stop leak additives can be more harmful than good.The best thing is - if it leaks top it up or fix the damn problem.A band aid will not stop an oil leak but a competant mechanical repair will.

aredwood, Sep 5, 10:07am
Please post some links, I want a laugh.

curlcrown, Sep 5, 11:02am
Additives have their place. eg in a car of very little value that is only required to be patched up to keep it going for a little while longer before replacement.

purple666, Sep 5, 11:06am
Yeah I had an old Leone Station Wagon with over 300k on it, used that Nulon stuff that was like honey in the oil and it quietened it right down till clutch went at 398k.

mrfxit, Sep 5, 9:29pm
LOL yep "stop smoke" kept the old v6 going through wof's for about 3 years.
Wof time = oil change & top up with stop smoke.
Never hurt the engine in any way.

The only way I can see additives "damaging" an engine, is if the under laying fault was pretty bad in the first place or they used around 90/100% additive only.
OR
The totally wrong additive

sifty, Sep 5, 9:35pm
What about a tablespoon of Castrol R in the tank of the old Trumpy purely for the smell.!

paul861, Sep 5, 9:37pm

mrfxit, Sep 5, 9:38pm
Vegetable oil gives a better smell

twaymouth, Sep 5, 9:40pm
Nothing like the old moreys diesel stop leak to get through another warrant!

xs1100, Sep 6, 8:54am
try castor oil.hahaha any one following you for long will have a clean out of there system,used to be a lady in the tomcc who ran castor oil with her petrol

xs1100, Sep 6, 8:55am
used their oil stabiliser for years and swear by it

franc123, Sep 6, 9:17am
Would agree that these potions simply aren't necessary in well maintained gear but for keeping a clunker going for a bit longer they are fine. You will notice that most of this stuff is created by, and marketed to, dumb Americans and other ignoramuses who have a weird and irrational disrespect for the auto repair trade and think a bottle of something will compensate for years of neglect and their own stupidity. Just like that car polish years ago that was colour matched to the paint and that you could tip lighter fluid over it and set it on fire without damaging the paint. Never go to those nasty expensive body shops again blah blah blah.

purple666, Sep 6, 9:20am
From memory Castrol R was castor oil based

yup google is my friend it is/was castor bean based

pettal, Sep 6, 9:27am
What about the additives containing= Molybdenum Disulfide .

moosie_21, Sep 6, 9:38am
Those claims are WAY over the top. Can't even spell "vibration" right. Stay well away, if they can't afford a proper schooling in English I bet you any money they can't afford to actually engineer anything useful for your car.

paul861, Sep 7, 5:40am
have you tryed it !

xs1100, Sep 7, 8:27am
well there you go but i was talking about before google and this woman put a tablespoon of actual castor oil in the fuel but dont panic you re still ok and so is yr friend

johnf_456, Sep 7, 8:34am
I hear Repco sells compression in a can.

gs-e, Sep 7, 8:45am
Does anyone know where I can buy AT205! It is available in the US but they don't post it overseas.
The writeups say it is good stuff.

roberto9, Sep 7, 8:53am
I used to put a few drops in the lawnmower fuel,( purely for the smell) just to make that laborious job a tadmore bearable.

purple666, Sep 7, 9:31am
Came in a tube when I was young.
Holts Piston Seal