Tyre wear

rpvr, Sep 24, 9:05pm
What is the likely cause of a small area on a tyre which is worn more than the rest of the tread! I noticed this on the left front tyre of my partner's Starlet. It's not right around the circumference, in fact the shoulders of the tyre look fine. The tyre is going to be replaced anyway, as it only has about 2mm of tread overall and about 1mm in the worn area. Just wondering as to cause. I drove the car up to 100k and there is no shaking evident.

mugenb20b, Sep 24, 11:58pm
TIRE in USA.

bellky, Sep 25, 12:26am
tyre is probly out of shape - ie. it has a 'balloon' in it - a swolen area. we had a goodyear wrangler (235/70/16) do that, and that's an expensive tyre

supernova2, Sep 25, 7:30am
I've no idea what causes it but was reading an old car handbook last week from the 50's and there was a whole page on flat spot tyre wear on left front tyres.For some strange unknown reason its a problem on the left front but not the right.My guess is its something to do with the camber of the road.Any other bright ideas!

snoopy221, Sep 25, 7:33am
mita been on the rear and jack the lad mighta been doin handbrakies in a previous life.

supernova2, Sep 25, 9:40am
So im guessing that in a LHD country the problem would be on the RF rather than the LF !

sr2, Nov 18, 5:12pm
Although left hand tyres (and wheel bearings) do appear to wear more on NZ roads I??