Ford Transit or VW motorhome?

Page 2 / 4
supernova2, Sep 11, 8:26am
I just couldn't justify that sort of money for something that I might use maybe 10 times a year - hence don't have a campervan.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 11, 8:30am
From memory, (and I could be wrong) the commercial 1.9 is actually a bit different. There are two different outputs in the commercial 1.9 too.

I think you would have driven the higher output one, even so while it may seem good if you are not used to a decent euro common rail its pretty piss poor compared to the 2.5 VW, 2.3 Fiat etc. This is the trap I was talking about above, mince might seem great if you have only ever eaten offal but it's no prime fillet steak.

Same goes in the car, the 1.9 really is the poor cousin to the 2.0 Diesel, I wouldn't have a 1.9 VW car myself. There is just no point when fuel consumption is negligible. In fairness though the 1.9 in the car is usually similar to the low output commercial version might be something like 75KW and 200Nm.

Likewise the 1.6 FSI petrol is a bit of a disappointment as well, that's why I don't recommend them much.

tuttyclan, Sep 11, 8:35am
Likewise the 1.6 FSI petrol is a bit of a disappointment as well, that's why I don't recommend them much.
Yes I have driven the 1.6 petrol only around town and yes they are a bit gutless,the turbo GTi version is great though.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 11, 8:38am
BTW, Tuttyclan,
The 2.0 Diesel VW in the car goes particularly nicely with the DSG. With the narrow torque range of a Diesel having 6 - 7 gears with an excellent controller and quicker than you can blink changes is where its at.

Unfortunately with the campervans the Crafter (and I think the early T5) while having a 6 Speed its only a regular Auto. While still well on a par with what the other manufacturers offer you feel hard done by after the silky smooth DSG.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 11, 8:41am
Even the non-turbo 2.0 goes well, realistically performance is what we expected from hot hatches just a few years earlier.

You are right though the GTI 2.0 Turbo is the bees knees andif it weren't for the purchase price its the one to get as realistically the economy is much the same (unless you thrash it). Even with a trailer on and a lead boot the Father in law's one did 7.5l/100km from Gisborne to Tauranga.

I can get one to settle in just over 5l/100km at cruise without a trailer.

tuttyclan, Sep 11, 8:41am
I find the DSG a bit jerky at stop start speed so I find that a bit of a put off,I would go for the manual instead.

tuttyclan, Sep 11, 8:43am
They make a lovely sound from the turbo a nice popping sound between gears lol.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 11, 8:43am
With what engine and which DSG! 6 or 7 speed!

Oh and do you know what km's roughly or whether it had had a cambelt change!

tuttyclan, Sep 11, 8:45am
Not sure but I do drive a few of them so I will take more notice and let you know.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 11, 8:48am
That would be great. They shouldn't really be jerky at start/stop (at least none of the ones I have driven have been.

However. one thing that is quite common is you get knuckle draggers replacing the cambelts and not replacing the single use stretch bolts for the engine mounts when they do so.

The result is the mount comes loose and you get the jerking at takeoff just as you describe.

You even get some that replace the mechatronics when it was the mounts all along.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 11, 8:50am
The Germans always made good music!

tuttyclan, Sep 11, 8:57am
And Herbie Bug (53) lol

skiff1, Sep 11, 11:37am
We had a ford transit on the farm as a kid, we caled it either the baby, cause it was always crapping itself, or Godzilla cause it ate Petrol tabkers

muzz67, Sep 11, 6:55pm
a 99 Transit has a horrible 2.5litre Diesel engine which sounds like an old Perkins, the 2001 onwards 2.4 litre common rail is a far superior unit and goes fairly well and easy on the fuel, 9-10 litres/100km.

dr.doolittle, Sep 11, 7:08pm
I have a 2001 Transit. Have had it for 10 yrs & it's given me no more problems than I could expect from anything else.
It spends most of it's time outside & is just starting to rust around the windscreen, which is not surprising.
I dont thrash the living day light out of it, but I'm not a nana either.
Overall I'm very happy with the service it's given me.

carclan, Sep 11, 10:47pm
My neighbour has an ex Kea VW camper, he has had a fantastic run out of it.

bellky, Sep 11, 11:21pm
This^ personal experience means nothing you'll find (big wink :) in the face of unending diatribe (taken straight from the net at times) from serial spammer.

ceebee2, Sep 11, 11:34pm
The Transit is a gutless POS compared to the Sprinter. I have had the pleasure of driving many of both types in the Ambulance service and believe me the Sprinter and Transit are no comparison.poles a part. The main consistent problem we had with a fleet of 70 Sprinters in Auckland were the mechanical injector pumps clapping out.averaged about X1 / week. Now that was the 2.8L D turbo model from 2006 - 2009 that I can recall.

Also just remembered that that model Sprinter has the semi-auto trans which was a total let down from the previous "wet Trans" model. Beware if it is a "dry" Auto as they have a manual gearbox but an auto shift system. Not suitable for NZ in my opinion as it is too hilly here for them. For e.g if you are on a hill / incline stationary behind traffic you cannot idle it in gear or it will burn out the clutch as we found in the first 50 St John bought!

1joe, Sep 12, 12:30am
Get the 2.5l diesel vw, you cant beat the 5cyl, they have used the same basic engine for the last 25years

thejazzpianoma, Sep 12, 3:28am
Sorry but this is a bit silly in my opinion. What's so hard about putting it in to neutral with the brake on when stationary!

You should be doing this with a manual vehicle anyway. I do have some sympathy in a fleet situation (like yours) but for an owner/driver buying a vehicle with a particular transmission just so you can get away with abuse is silly.

Good "dry" transmissions have significant economy, power and service advantages. Many manufacturers are changing to them so its going to be very hard to avoid.

Its much like the dual mass clutch issue, again people complain because they can't abuse them with poor driving behaviors. They seem quite happy to throw away all of their significant advantages so they can drive like a neanderthal. What's so hard about driving properly!

Not meaning to sound nasty I just find it a strange attitude. BTW, my wife drives a "dry" transmission vehicle to work through traffic every day. She has no issue popping it into neutral when stationary.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 12, 3:47am
Traditional diesels use a mechanical pump to meter the fuel into the engine. The result is its not very accurate or efficient and its quite a complicated process to try and achieve mechanically.

Traditional diesels (even good ones) use significantly more fuel fuel, blow more smoke and are very lack luster and sluggish compared to a common rail diesel. They usually require significantly more servicing than a common rail too. (Servicing 3 times as often, with twice as much oil required is not uncommon at all).

Common rail diesels meter the fuel electronically with an electric injector. Its significantly more accurate and responsive, it also opens the door to allow for clever multi injection processes for even better economy and response again.

Its also worth mentioning that common rail diesels are actually designed for the significantly different modern diesel fuel we now have in NZ. The old ones are not. This can create maintenance and reliability issues.

Technicalities aside, just drive a few and compare. Your VW was about as good as the old technology got, but common rail is still much better. Compared to a more typical common rail diesel like is used in the Transit the difference if monumental. Buying a traditional Diesel camper would be a real mistake in my opinion, not only due to economy and performance but I suspect resale will be increasingly poor in years to come as people understand the difference.

Remember some manufacturers staggered the introduction of the new engines. Your LT VW for example was available with the 2.5 traditional diesel like you had and also with a much more powerful 2.8 common rail unit.

Manufacturers started introducing common rail diesels into these sorts of vans from about 1999 and I think all engines in the range were common rail across the board by about 2007. So you need to check each van individually to make sure you know what you have got.

smac, Sep 12, 3:52am
Isn't it kind of a big assumption that the buyer of such a vehicle would be made aware of this! They are marketed as autos, driven as autos, so will be treated as autos with regard to driving behavior.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 12, 3:55am
Just something else I should have mentioned about the "dry" transmission issue above. Most second generation automated manuals (or dry transmissions) like Fiat's, VW's and I would assume others, now have a hill hold feature.
So if you are on a hill and need to take off it will operate the brake for you so that you don't roll back.
As mentioned though, this is not some sort of new problem. Its the same thing we have had with manual transmissions since cars were invented, yet people still buy manual cars. If you are on a hill and need to take off you just use your handbrake like you should have been taught when you learn't to drive.
Also, realistically I find I am quick enough on the gas not to need the handbrake in most vehicles and situations, but that's up to the driver.

Again, I have some sympathy for fleet situations with lots of drivers, some of them no doubt lazy/not very good and in the case of an Ambulance the less the driver has to think about the better. But for a private motorhome, it should be a nil issue.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 12, 4:00am
No,

Its absolutely absurd IMO to hold back significant developments in automotive technology just so someone can be lazy and not read the owners handbook and/or the sales person can avoid pointing that out.

If we operated like that with technology there would be no Iphone or computer.

We give up enough great stuff to pander to the stupid/lazy in this world as it is. I don't think we should be giving up any more.

Educate YES! Pander NO!

Besides there are outdated, old technology, thirsty and unreliable Hiaces and Hyundai's for that segment of the market. Most of that non-thinking type even gravitate to those by themselves anyway.

BTW most manufacturers go way out of their way to point out what's required when driving these vehicles.

Fiat for example will flash a big warning on the dash if you overheat the clutch from abuse and even provide you with a separate leaflet explaining about the transmission in the hope that you will not miss it buried somewhere in the manual.

ceebee2, Sep 12, 4:10am
PS = We weren't told it was a dry Auto!