Are all red taillights legal?

fordcrzy, Sep 23, 9:08am
just wondering if spraying or overlaying all the rear lights (including the reverse lenses) red is legal! do the indicators have to be amber!
i know the imported US cars get away with it but just wondering.

steve312, Sep 23, 9:16am
Rear indicators can be red.You have to be careful that any overlay or paint doesn't reduce the light output though.

WOF rules have changed to make any alterations to the lamps (such as tinting) is a WOF fail.

fordcrzy, Sep 23, 9:36am
wasnt thinking any darker just totally red

clark20, Sep 23, 11:46am
They also have to be compliant with SAE, ie rules from the US. You cannot just have red lights.

sparkles_bc, Sep 24, 6:50am
Not too sure but thought cars had to be of american origin to be allowed red indicators! Or was that brake light/indicator combos!

Anywayapart from above, lights need to be visible from 200m daytime/400m night time and need the red reflectors visible, reverse light must be white so if you can keep to these you should be fine

bubbles244, Sep 24, 8:08pm
I brought aftermarket rear lights for my well side hilux which are red indicators, also you have to ensure that any tint/paint does not impeed the reflective areas ability to refract light.

floscey, Sep 24, 8:12pm
You can still get a warrant onXY falcons with red lenses in place of the orange.

ema1, Sep 24, 11:37pm
My Mercedes Benz 1965 220SEb has all red taillights from factory even though some marketsstipulated amber direction indicators, NZ did not back then.
USA car makes don't have amber direction indicators in most of their cars either.
Why on earth would you want to make backing lights red!
Kind of defeats the purpose of having them as red light does not show objects clearly like white light does. Amber is or was often used for backing lights, e.g. Chrysler Valiant AP5-6 the rear direction indicators doubled up as backing lights. The 1964 Plymouth Valiant Signet 200 I once had only had all red lamps on the rear. I fitted backing lights to it as they didn't have them standard ex factory.
Not sure if cars fitted with factory amber rear direction indicators are allowed to have their lamps changed to red as you're asking but NZTA ( NZ Transport Agency.) or any affiliates would be able to tell you, check out their lighting requirements VIRM to see what departures if any are allowed in the direction you are asking about before you go ahead or there's the possibility you could get pinged!
You see some with smoked type lenses so there maybe provision within the law but I would advise .CHECK FIRST !
The LVVC ( Low Volume Vehicle Certification.) guys would be able to say whether yay or nay!

ema1, Sep 24, 11:59pm
Another thing.the overlay as you mention do doub't would reduce the efficiency of the lights.
Lighting performance MUST not in anyway be impaired in any lamp fitted to your car!
I'd errrr on the side of NO in your case but you'd need to as I saidCHECK FIRST ! for the legalities of doing what you plan.

Aftermarket lamps that qualify for required lighting standardsis definitelythe better option in your case.( This refers to my post #9 also.)

ema1, Sep 25, 12:12am
What make of car are you talking about here fordcrzy!
If same car had all red lamp option ex factory then that would be an option otherwise I reckon you could be up against the current WOF regulations regarding lighting requirements.
As said before.best check with the powers that be

lyonruge, Sep 25, 3:10am
Rear lights can be red or amber but, Reason for rejection g) is altered, eg due to damage or modification.http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof/general/lighting/rearward-facing-position-lamps

lyonruge, Sep 25, 3:12am
and if the reverse lamps work, they must emit a white light, defused

ema1, Sep 25, 3:14am
That clarifies things right there.

fred-a, Sep 25, 8:01pm
Interesting - I had an oz-assembled Hunter that had the indicators as reversing lights, had no issues with wof.

lyonruge, Sep 25, 8:08pm
What year was the Hunter!

Performance

6. A lamp controlled by gear engagement continues to display a light to the rear when the reverse gear is disengaged.

7. A lamp controlled by a manual switch continues to display a light to the rear while the headlamps are switched on.

8. When engaged, a lamp emits light that is not:

a) substantially white (Note 3), or

b) steady, or

c) diffuse or a dipped beam.

9. Where a lamp comprises an array of light sources (eg LEDs), fewer than 75% of these operate.

Note 1 Definitions

Reversing lamp means a lamp designed to illuminate the area behind the vehicle while it is reversing and to warn other road users that the vehicle is reversing or about to reverse.

Note 2

A reversing lamp that does not comply with equipment, condition and performance requirements must be made to comply or be disabled so that it does not emit a light.

Note 3

Vehicles first registered in New Zealand before 27 February 2005 were allowed to use rear indicator lamps as reversing lamps. Although the light emitted is amber rather than white, this arrangement is still permitted for these vehicles.

Note 4

A vehicle originally manufactured with a reversing lamp arrangement that differs from what is required or permitted in this section may retain the original reversing lamps provided they remain fitted in their original position and perform as intended by the vehicle manufacturer.

lyonruge, Sep 25, 8:10pm
Note 3 should keep you happy!

ema1, Sep 26, 12:34am
Chrysler Australia Valiants in the 1960's were all like your Hunter regarding back up lights. AP5-6 & VC certainly were. Pretty sure VE-VF were too,not so sure the VG onwards though!

fred-a, Sep 26, 5:39am
My Hunter was a 69, GT version with twin carbs etc. went like a rocket (for its day).
Definitely had the amber reversing lights as standard, was told all oz Hunters were like that.