Holden Astra G series fault?

Page 1 / 2
donz01, Sep 20, 8:24am
We just put a OBDII scanning tool on our Astra and found a fault saying, MIL request from TCM.When we start the car it runs with a sort of miss with a slight fluctuation of revs for maybe a minute then the car changes tune and runs sweet as it should. The engine check light is on and as far as we can see everything is connected. We think TCM could be throttle control module or transmission control module or maybe even temperature control module. As for MIL we have discounted mother in law and have no idea other than maybe main ignition loom. Can anyone possibly explain our fault. Cheers in advance.

intrade, Sep 20, 8:35am
whats the error code!

hi-ling, Sep 20, 8:37am
P0700 is a code that tells u the TCM [transmission Control Module] has requested that the PCM [Powertrain Control Module] turn on the check engine light,

intrade, Sep 20, 8:37am
it dont makes sense the light that is on is usually referd to as mil
(MIL = ???Malfunction Indicator Light???) ??

intrade, Sep 20, 8:39am
there has to be a error code in the log if the light is on.

donz01, Sep 20, 9:16am
We could only find mil request from TCM. I googled a bit and now know malfunction indicator light. I also found out if I earth pin 6 then turn on the ignition I should get a series of flashing lights to tell me the fault code number. I will have another look at it over the weekend and try to get the fault code from it using an earth wire.

intrade, Sep 20, 9:17am
what diagnostic tool did you use!

bigfatmat1, Sep 20, 9:30am
probly need to access the transmission control module to read fault code. Does not sound related however. these engines are prone to coil failures and cam & crank sensor failures

donz01, Sep 20, 9:36am
We used a auto sparkie mates scanner. It was a huge beastabout the size of an ipad but about 2 inches deep and yellow in colour. It is definitely a professional tool and not a cheap toy. Sorry I never took notice of the brand. My sparkie mate knew how to operate it through all the options etc etc to select the right model, engine etc. He was in a rush to get to another job so we only had about 10 mins to have a quick look. If he comes back with it I will find out what brand it is and post it here.

bigfatmat1, Sep 20, 9:37am
x1
your sparkie mate should know all about these engines as they are troublesome suckers What was the fault code!

mechnificent, Sep 21, 1:06am
It sounds like the transmission or it's controls are faulty. best take it to someone that can get the trans codes out.

hi-ling, Sep 21, 4:44am
MIL request from TCM is fault code P0700, which is Transmission fault, the symptoms your talking about are more like an idle control valve sticking or gummed up.
If your keeping the car log into fleabay and buy an Op-Com obd2 device and cable, costs about $40 delivered, will give you TOTAL access to all onboard computer diagnostics, see any stored fault codes, you can see live data with your motor running, so you can check sensor operation, you can program keys and remotes, erase fault codes. Brilliant little unit just for Opel based cars

donz01, Sep 22, 8:22am
I found this note on the autodata fault code site, NOTE: Models without a terminal in position 6 of the l6pin DLC do not display trouble codes using the MIL. Our 2001 G series 1800cc does not have pin 6.It looks like we will be trying the OBDII scanner again. I believe it is a Hanotec scanner.

dent, Sep 22, 8:29am
if its yellow then yes hanatech scanner is that colour. Id be accessing the transmission control moduel and checking for fault codes in there.

donz01, Sep 22, 8:37am
Where do we find the transcontrol module!

dent, Sep 22, 8:45am
not sure but you need to try and access its data and fault codes through the diagnostics port you have already used.

donz01, Sep 22, 8:47am
Cheers, we will try that tomorrow.

bigfatmat1, Sep 22, 9:32am
should be an option on the scanner there will be a menu like
1 airbag
2 abs
3 engine
4 trans
5 body
ect
these options will vary on models

treachug, Sep 24, 7:56am
Engine ECU.
I just got one in from UK for a mate who's mums car had same random fault code pointing to transmission ECU fault.
Got a ECU, keyreader for ignition barrell & 2 key head chips (all coded - just 'plug & play') for $680.00 delivered. Local Holden dealer wants around $2k for ECU & labour.
Don, you know how to get hold of me if you need to.

donz01, Sep 24, 9:41am
Good to hear from you Craig. We replaced the ECU about a year ago and it has a 2 year warranty. Back then it was about $1300 as a special deal for me. I had it running again tonight and other than the check light ( car with spanner through it ) being on ,it runs fine after about 40 seconds. I did notice this time that if I touch the throttle the response is somewhat delayed and also it takes a couple seconds for the revs to drop back. its a bit like the butterfly is gummed up and sticking a bit. I will remove the throttle body on the weekend and give it a good clean and check any vacum lines to it are not gummed up as well.

treachug, Sep 24, 11:47am
Ok, then have a look at the airflow meter - it will be on the way out. On a 1.8 you must fit a genuine Siemens airflow meter not a cheap aftermarket
Also clean out the throttle body & it should run like new.

lyonruge, Sep 24, 7:43pm
Generally, the Car with the spanner through it, is the service light, not the MIL. It means your car is due for a scheduled service.

jmma, Sep 24, 9:31pm
In this case that is not correct (o:

donz01, Sep 29, 9:40am
Hi Craig, you were spot on with the air flow meter being on its way out.I caught up with a friend who has a dead Astra and borrowed his air flow meter. I had cleaned out the throttle body about a year ago and found a gummed up very small vacuum line. Well it was gummed up again when I cleaned it again during the week. With the borrowed afm it runs perfect. I have a new Siemens afm on its way now so all should be fine again.

treachug, Oct 10, 10:08am
Don, just found your reply - so the Astras running fine now! Just picked myself up a (cheap) 2000 1.8 Astra. Getting it Friday, apparently diagnosed as ECU but I'm fingers crossed for a air flow meter. Thats been replaced but Im picking with an aftermarket one - will be first thing to try before getting ECU ex Uk