New Car Advice

scoobeey, Sep 23, 9:36am
Mums lookin at buyin a new car. a 5 door hatch. Has a biggish st wagon at the mo but doesnt want a suzuki or anything too small not too big either . and NO euro lol

vtecintegra, Sep 23, 9:51am
Does a Focus count as European!

Anyway your choices for a new car are pretty much
Focus
Civic
Golf
i30
Cerato

and of course Corolla, but even in this segment it doesn't get any duller than that

scoobeey, Sep 23, 10:00am
euro was a joke lol cheers 4 ideas

fordcrzy, Sep 23, 10:00am
do you mean a NEW car or just another car! whats the budget! Manual or auto!
if shes after a 2012 car then the best car is definitly the ford Fiesta.get an ex demo one for low 20's. they are head and shoulders above the other hatches.

scoobeey, Sep 23, 10:11am
ford fiesta looks good

scoobeey, Sep 23, 10:12am
u beat me lol new car

scoobeey, Sep 23, 10:14am
new fiesta 22k

lazzo, Sep 23, 10:24am
I feel the Honda Jazz is a better car than Fiesta, but that's besides the point because OP has stated not a small car, my list of possibilities would be:

Honda Civic - super quality, nice style, proven Honda.
VW Golf - huge seller outside NZ, good looking exterior, interior a bit dull.
Mazda 3 - style that grows on you, performs well, roomy.
Ford Focus - proven model, functional.
Hyundai i30 - Good looker, becoming bossy in the segment.
Mitsubishi Lancer - great value for money, good look for a model now over 5
Holden Cruze - Aussie built now, worth a look.

And yes the Corolla was deliberately left off the list, but have a look if you like a dull and boring model commonly found at bowling clubs.

scoobeey, Sep 23, 10:30am
Hell the Jazz is a hell of a nice car :)

vtecintegra, Sep 23, 10:35am
The Jazz and Fiesta are both in the smaller size bracket than the stuff I posted

jane310567, Sep 23, 10:37am
The ford focus looks like a nice size but has a larger motor - fuel efficiency!

scoobeey, Sep 23, 10:37am
yeah mum wants a smallish car not a barina but not a large swagon like the misti she bought new ten yrs ago. only got 50 k on clock:)

scoobeey, Sep 23, 10:38am
i like the way the jazz seaklts fold down so you can get a pushbike in:) cant forget the pressies for the grandies lol

johnf_456, Sep 23, 9:54pm
Have a look at Fiestas as above, they are very good value for money at the moment.

shelleigh, Sep 24, 12:44am
OP I bought a 2012 Fiesta LX auto hatch in April after driving a '96 Corolla manual wagon for 13 years and LOVE my Fiesta!
There's only two of us and there's enough room in the hatch for our big bags and cabin bags.
I'm also loving my first auto after 30 years of driving manuals - the Ford Powershift (6 speed dual clutch auto) is very quick, smooth and economical.
No problems at all passing even going up steep hills :)
Only thing is your mum may find hatches like the Fiesta too low when getting in and out.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 24, 5:17am
I would suggest she waits a little bit and then buys the new MK7 Golf which has just started into production.

It looks like its going to blow the opposition right out of the water and make anything else look 10 years out of date, just like they did when the MK5 came out in 2004.

Would be well worth a few months wait IMO.

scoobeey, Sep 24, 11:40am
I may even listen to you for a change LOL Cheers:)

lazzo, Sep 24, 3:49pm
Don't get me wrong, I like the Golf but I must point out that in terms of sales in New Zealand the Golf has never been a market leader in the mid-size hatch segment and the new model is unlikely to change that. So probably reaching for the stars.

boojum, Sep 24, 6:30pm
There's a new model Corolla coming next month - meant to be another step up from the current one.

jason18, Sep 24, 7:28pm
^ wow bet the corolla will thrill as usual. Im pretty sure I nearly fell asleep driving one it was so bland and boring