Mobility scooter battery question.

meoldchina, Sep 21, 7:38pm
I have just had to buy a mobility scooter and it will not be used for 4 months so should I keep the battery on charge or allow it to go flat! Once it is in regular use should I put it on charge at the end of every day, or less frequently! I realise this is not the normal petrol head sort of question, but I thought it was the right forum to ask.

kngfhrt, Sep 21, 7:58pm
My understanding with batterys is a siting battery is a dead battery if you have to store it store it fully charged. probably better still would be to keep it on a trickle charge. thats about all i know but Im sure others here will be of g8t help.

74nova, Sep 21, 8:03pm
Read the manual.

gammelvind, Sep 21, 8:09pm
The batteries in those scooters are wet cells, do not let them go totally flat ever. Nothing kills lead acid betteries quicker than going below 50% charge. The charger that comes with the scooter should be a multi stage unit, which prevents over charging (another battery killer) so you should put on charge every day when you are finished using the scooter.
As far as leaving for 4 months, you could just disconnect the batteries so no chance of discharge and reconnect and charge when you get back. 4 months would be on the outside of the no charge window. The other option is to buy one of those plug in timers and let it charge for 30 minutes every 24 hours.
The heavy loads on these batteries from the scooter motors means you will find they really only last 18 months to 2 years before they run out of puff.

meoldchina, Sep 21, 8:13pm
74nova, I have bought a secondhand one so, unfortunately, there is no manual.
Kngfhrt, thanks. I was thinking that I may have to invest in a trickle charger, however, I once kept a van battery on a trickle charger for two months and amazingly tye battery died tye second time I started the van. Since that experience I have been wary of trickle chargers.

meoldchina, Sep 21, 8:18pm
Gammelvind, thank you very mich fir your fulsome answer. Much appreciated.

saki, Sep 22, 5:47am
I was involve with both the repair and maintenance of power chairs for some time, all power chairs had gel cell batteries, I dont know about your scooter wether it is 12 or 24 v< did you get a charger with it ! if you are concerned about leaving the charger on for a long period go and see an auto sparkie and talk to them about battery maintainers.

supernova2, Sep 22, 6:45am
What brand/model is the scooter!