Car Accident & 3rd Party Insurance

pcguitarist, Sep 17, 9:40pm
I managed to back into a fairly new car (1st accident ever might I add) a few weeks ago. Minor damage to his car, and no damage to my car (towbar). I was nice enough to leave a note on his car with my details. I've just received a call from his insurance company and ended the phone call a bit confused.Was I meant to make a claim with my insurance company! Because I just left it up to the other person to make a claim through his company, thinking that with the 3rd party insurance I have, it would all be cleared up without me really having to do anything! May sound silly, but I've never had this happen before so not sure at all what to do. Is there any circumstances where I have to pay anything out of my own pocket!

phillip.weston, Sep 17, 9:43pm
you're at fault so you make the claim through your company generally.

countrypete, Sep 17, 9:44pm
You need to make a claim on your insurance, and you will need to pay the excess as per your policy.

poppajn, Sep 17, 9:47pm
Yep, no need for this thread to continue on, 2 good and correct answers.

kazbanz, Sep 17, 10:05pm
But if the moon was in the seventh house.If the wind was blowing making it a maori claim. If the towbar isn't regulation size.--Heck you could drag this out for ages.

pcguitarist, Sep 17, 10:09pm
What happens if I just do nothing!

tigra, Sep 17, 10:13pm
Probably end up paying for the damage yourself. AND if your excess is higher than the damage repair cost might be a good way to go, though its probably unlikely considering the costs today to repair mortor cars.

splinter67, Sep 17, 10:16pm
You will get a big bill from the other persons insurance company ring your insurance company ask them. They will know unlike some on here

jmma, Sep 17, 10:18pm
How do you claim if you don't know the details of the other person, You left your details, surely they will get in touch with you.Then go from there.

bellky, Sep 17, 10:20pm
Don't be stupid. If you are insured contact your insurance Co., they will sort it with the other insurance Co.

bellky, Sep 17, 10:22pm
Maybe you could try reading!

".I've just received a call from his insurance company and ended the phone call a bit confused."

jmma, Sep 17, 10:26pm
Well, there you go, I was right, they got in touch with him (o:
Next question (o:

pcguitarist, Sep 17, 10:27pm
I'm just worried about the excess I'd have to pay.it's quite a lot.

fordkiwi27, Sep 17, 10:30pm
well thats why you have insurance!bet excess isnt as much as the bill you would get!

bellky, Sep 17, 11:37pm
That's a point pcguitarist. Might pay to talk to your ins. Co. and find out what is cheapest for you!

poppajn, Sep 18, 12:28am
You,d be paying a heap more if you had no insurance.

matarautrader, Sep 18, 8:05am
Our daughter managed to shorten her/our car a bit when she ran up the rear of a stopped vehicle. We notified our insurance company as we knew the other vehicle driver would put in a claim. We only had the car insured for 3rd party and it cost us the normal excess plus a $400 young driver excess. However we recieved a letter from the insurance company looking after the other car with some questions and also a statement that our daughter was responsible for the prang and requiring to be signed.When I talked to our insurance company I found that it was a cheeky way for the other insurance company (State) to claim. Our insurance company sorted them out. So worth doing the insurance thing especially if it turns nasty.

hd07, Sep 22, 3:58am
How was it a 'cheeky' way! Your daughter hit another person in the rear, so was at fault. Nothing cheeky about the other Insurer recovering their own costs (which is normal).

mrfxit, Sep 22, 4:58am
If I had an accident in a "mortor" car, I would be sXXXing bricks

petermcg, Sep 22, 5:17am
I managed to back into a fairly new car (1st accident ever might I add) a few weeks ago. Minor damage to his car, and no damage to my car. I think everyone is wrong and this thread should go on for ever, when my wife done the same thing (backed into car) the other guy said dont worry about ithis insurance will pay ,, and they did ,, after all thatswhat he had his insurance for wasent it,,