Old issuing of car and bike license

toshibanz, Sep 19, 7:42pm
I'm told that years ago when you got your car license, that also extended to being able to ride a bike!

Does anyone remember if this is correct, and if so when did it change to what we have now requiring a licence for both !
Cheers

gilco2, Sep 19, 7:50pm
I sat my drivers licence in 1971 and had to do 2 tests. 1 for the car and another for the motorbike.BUT the car licence did cover a moped

toshibanz, Sep 19, 7:53pm
Sweet thanks for that. Given I would have only been 10 at the time its pretty much answered my question.

Thanks again :)

motorboy2011, Sep 19, 8:36pm
what you most likely heard was you could ride a scooter, which is still true

bwg11, Sep 19, 9:01pm
Way back, like early 1960's, you were then given a moped licence with your car licence. Later, guessing, late 60's when regulations changed,, you were asked if you rode a moped and if you said yes, you were given a motorcycle licence.

dunwoody, Sep 19, 9:31pm
In1945 you had to get seperate licenses. When i got mine the traffic said "I have seen you riding around , so I wont waste my time testing you" . With the car he said " you are going to drive anyway so you might as well do it legaly"Paid my five bob and have been driving ever since. How beurocracy has changed.

elect70, Sep 19, 9:48pm
In 60 syou gota provisionallicence for m bikeno test requiredthengot fulllicencewithin 3 months whichentailedrirdng around theblock & giving hand signals.Separatetocar licence .Dont thinkneededany licence for moped .Bro had a Puch ,spelt wrong , should have been push,

gilco2, Sep 19, 11:45pm
not in 1971 when I sat my licence. I wanted a motorcycle to go to work and had to have car licence for work. Car licence covered a moped.My bike being a 125cc meant I had to sit a separate motorcycle licence.