Ford T5 gearbox oil

granada, Sep 15, 7:52am
Ive got a old 94 ED Coon with a T55 speed in and just read the manual re oil changes. The 6 cyl recomends an ATF Dectron 2 fluidwhilst the V8 recommends a 90 grade gear oil.Its the same box so WTF.Gear oil came out of my 4L and Ive rep[laced it with the same, but willing to change to ATF if anyone can give me a good reason too.

treachug, Sep 15, 9:27am
ATF is common oil in lots of Borg Warner manual gearboxes. Still a lubricant (even though most know it only as auto fluid) & good for the synchros. Anything heavier & synchros may stick - graunchy or hard shifting etc - Dexron II will give you smooth easier shifting etc.
If it lists Dexron II, use it.

granada, Sep 15, 9:46am
What I dont get is its the same box in the v8 and that lists gear oil.
I have never had any shifting problems. The car has only 140,000km on it and is still very tight and original. Will try the gear oil for a month and see how it feels. It was definately gear oil that came out of it.Might then change to Atf and see if their is a difference

supernova2, Sep 15, 12:18pm
Check the netlube sites.I think you will find they say a gear oil rather than an atf.

unbeatabull, Sep 15, 11:07pm
Castrol lists a 75/80 Gear oil for the Manual Trans - With a note that Dexron II or Dexron III (DXIII supersedes DXII) can also be used

The gearboxs are the same externally, the V8 one is a bit beefier inside though with stronger gears etc. From what I've seen/Heard

elect70, Sep 16, 1:39am
Ifsticking to gear oil put the Castrol synthetic in, givesbettersmoother changes& even sounds quieter . I did it in my old BMW635 amazing difference .

pfemstn, Sep 16, 7:19pm
castrol syntrax is the go!