What's the best way to upgrade Bighorn brakes.

battleaxe, Sep 14, 7:41am
we have a 94 Bighorn Lotus and the breaks are OK but not great. What's the best way to upgrade them so the stopping power improves!

skull, Sep 14, 7:49am
I'm no mechanic but I guess you could weld a bigger pad onto the brake pedal so you could get both clodhoppers onto it.

battleaxe, Sep 14, 7:55am
sounds great. will get the welder once i've finished my beer

thunderbolt, Sep 14, 7:57am
Better quailty pads would be first stop.
What are the rotors like!

battleaxe, Sep 14, 7:58am
rotors ok. a little worn but not warped. are there upgrade kits or am i stuck with what i've got!

flack88, Sep 14, 8:17am
Is it a diesel!The petrol ones might have bigger calipers,like Nissan safaris do ,put Mintex brake pads on,they are expensive but work well.

andy61, Sep 14, 8:27am
Breaks! you wouldn`t want them breaking eh!

battleaxe, Sep 14, 8:36am
thanks for pointing out the typo. any suggestions on my brakes!

lyonruge, Sep 14, 8:44am
Check the vacuum at the booster, is it diesel, will have a vacuum pump on alternator, may be weak!

barnyg, Sep 14, 9:32am
make sure the rear caliper slides are not siezed. have 97 one of these brakes were ok but not great freed up the rear slides and put minetx pads in brakes greatly improved

mrfxit, Sep 14, 9:54am
That beasty should already have 4 pot calipers on the front, not sure about the bighorn, but even my std 88 Surf has monster 4 pot calipers on the front.
Pad type makes a huge difference to them.
Skim the rotors, softer (better quality) pads, make sure the backs are working properly or better still just go ahead & rekit the whole system

rocky0169, Sep 14, 9:57am
The big horns allso use 2 different diameter disc rotors. check surface thickness is even. pad ware. as other poster said a rekit wouldnt hurt. are you getting any pedal pulsation under braking!

battleaxe, Sep 14, 7:31pm
no pulsation under heavy braking but not great grip either. thanks for the posts.

mrfxit, Sep 14, 8:17pm
Possible problems are

#1 Sticking piston (any 1 or more in a set /sets)
#2 Brake hoses collapsing (1 or any of 3)
#3 Master cylinder seals/valves (gummed/sticking)
#4 Rear cylinders sticking/ jammed
#5 Front pads too hard a compound

#6 Rotor thickness won't effect braking effort
#7 Warped rotors generally won't effect braking effort but can effect how well it brakes
. All the others can effect how well it brakes & the amount of effort it takes

#1 will normally show with ONE pad of the pair of pads being worn more then the other.
#2.will normally show with 1 cylinder pad set of the pair of cylinder pads being worn more then the other
Either of the above could also show up as bad rotor wear

mrfxit, Sep 14, 8:21pm
Doing the job your self.
Rekit fronts + hoses ! $100/ $150 .
Rears for seals only if you are lucky $50 or replace for $40 to $200
Master cylinder $50 to $400
If the pads & rotors look ok & even, leave them for later

Won't really know until it comes apart.

philltauranga, Sep 14, 8:49pm
Change the brake fluid it may have moisture in itor an air pocket somewhere, which would prevent full pressure being applyed at the caliper.

intrade, Sep 14, 8:56pm
dont want to be rude but maybe you should learn how to drive . i live on a hill and i run unbraked trailers with a few tons down 10% downhill with standard brakes when i need to you got to use low gears to help slowing things and not have bigger brakes to go faster and harder
you will get brake fade when they get to hot . if you got poor brakes then its probably a master cilinder or brake booster vaccume issue not your brakes

intrade, Sep 14, 9:02pm
petrol or Diesel!

splinter67, Sep 14, 9:02pm
How long have you had it and is this the first bigger vehicle youve had

mrfxit, Sep 14, 9:18pm
Umm yes, good question (sorry was presuming longer term ownership)

mrfxit, Sep 14, 9:19pm
Mmmm heres a good question.

Do you regularly call it a

A; Car
B: Truck
C: 4x4

mrfxit, Sep 14, 9:23pm
2 good things for a start

splinter67, Sep 14, 9:28pm
As intrade said Ive had to teach a few to drive not only 4x4s but deisels as well my bil couldnt work out why his van went better after he picked up his worker than before. Took me about 10 seconds to find the problem He would start it and drive off from cold. I then showed him where it made power. He called me on the Wednesday of that week he said the fuel gauge was not working right because it still had quarter left

mrfxit, Sep 14, 10:52pm
Heck yes, a HUGE difference between operating a Petrol & diesel vehicle.
Eg:
2ltr Bluebird happily sings away from idle at 800rpm to 4rpm
2.4 diesel Surf is only really happy between 2k & 3k revs
Refer post #21