Water in petrol

rthomas80, Sep 12, 8:29am
what would water in fuel do to car! i put petrol in my car yesterday morning car was running fine and all of a sudden when i go round corners the car feels like it is running out of petrol but it isnt, a few people have told me the servo i got it from when it rains water gets in there fuel tanks, there pumps do always seem to be out of order after its been raining for a while too

morrisman1, Sep 12, 8:30am
that, and condensation of the air inside your tank when it cools down. Water vapour condensates on the walls of hte tank and runs down to the bottom. Not generally a problem unless the tank has been left empty, with good ventilation and through plenty hot/cold cycles.

morrisman1, Sep 12, 8:32am
What would it do to your car! If its a conventional EFI petrol then probably nothing too serious. If its a fancy pants direct injection, well who knows

clark20, Sep 12, 8:34am
Add some E15 from Gull if your car can take it, the alcohol absorbs the water if you have any in the tank.

rthomas80, Sep 12, 8:39am
dont have a gull, if its not the fuel what else could it be it surges when going round corners sort of farts around like it would if you are nearly out of gas but i put more gas in and it is on half a tank ! it only started doing this after going to that servo

hi-ling, Sep 12, 8:43am
Pour a bottle of methylated spirits into your tank, it absorbs the water. Works fine

gunhand, Sep 12, 8:45am
Blocked filters!

msigg, Sep 12, 8:52am
hi-ling is correct, although it would be showing symptoms whenerver not just going around corners. Might be something mechanical like brakes binding for some reason. You need to get more specific,try to narrow down whats going on, ie ,left hand corners, right hand, engine related (revs pick up/down) engine cuts out,hand brake, tyres,, so many things.try.

jmma, Sep 12, 10:56am
Make, model etc might help.

rthomas80, Sep 12, 7:38pm
toyota ipsum 1996

rovercitroen, Sep 12, 7:45pm
If your tank was really low when you filled up maybe some crud was stirred up and has partially blocked the fuel filter.

lordv81, Sep 12, 7:57pm
I had water in a Hilux fuel tank once.It would almost stop like it was out of gas and then suddenly take off again once I buttoned off.It was from the water making the fuel filters soft ad they were paper and they had turned to mush.I replaced both and it went fine after that.Mine too was from a servo that is known for crappy gas when their tanks get low.

kevymtnz, Sep 12, 8:05pm
if not water make sure yr spark leads are not loose

fryan1962, Sep 12, 8:07pm
stop going around corners for a while

texastwo, Sep 12, 8:29pm
You will never get a fuel company admit that they got water in their tanks

fordcrzy, Sep 13, 6:52am
most servos dip for water at least once a week and they take it VERY seriously. people seem to think that servos water down thier fuel etc which is total BS. Just like they seem to think that the meter calibrations are rigged in some way which is also total BS. Every servo tank suction point is up off the bottom of the tank so you would have to have around 2000 liters of water in the tank before it started getting sucked into the delivery lines (remember water is HEAVIER than fuel). servo underground fuel tanks are designed so water is not sucked into the delivery lines.get over it!

msigg, Sep 13, 7:29am
yea fordcrzy, easier to look for blame first. As you say they can't afford problems like this in their business. not impossible though.

lordv81, Sep 13, 8:49am
You are partly right,most servos do take it seriously but some just dont give a shit.If you ever talk to the guys who replace and repair tanks you will know how much crap is in some tanks.leaking tanks underground can also let in contaminants.When unleaded was brought in alot of motors were destroyed ,with the fuel companies claiming it cant be because of the fuel.This countries fuel history in recent years is shocking,yet very rarely do the fuel companies ever own up.

rthomas80, Sep 14, 3:28am
well put fuel set in which takes water out of fuel and its heaps better and no my tank wasnt really empty the fuel light had just flicked on so still had about $20 in it

fordcrzy, Sep 14, 7:22am
i do repair and replace tanks.that how i know!
most dispensers are fitted with 10 micron filters inside them so you aint gonna get much gunk in your tank from them.
oh yeah and dont be one of those muppets that tries to "drain the hose" its a total waste of time. the nozzles have anti syphon valves in them! they are made like that so the delivery amount is accurate.

lordv81, Sep 14, 9:37am
So you would have seen the storage tanks with knee deep grime and shit in them.All that crap cant be good for the fuel even with a 10 micron filter.The servo/quicki mart up the road from me have given me bad fuel three times, both diesel and petrol.They quite often run their tanks empty as well.