Mid 90,s v6 petrol toyota surf engines any good?

geminidragon, Sep 26, 9:43am
looking at buying one and its a rare manual model ,do they have any major troubles cheers

monaro17, Sep 26, 9:43am
just fuel consumption i would imagine

a.woodrow, Sep 26, 9:46am
Head gasket issues, also corrosion of the block at the rear of the motor. Some had new blocks fitted under warranty back in the day

geminidragon, Sep 26, 9:50am
hmmm , i hada feeling the overheating issue would come up ,i thought it would make a good tow vehicle ,i had a idea it would be thirsty but like the idea of it being a manual

franc123, Sep 26, 9:51am
If its the 3VZ engine being discussed, yes they do. Avoid like the plague.

rob_man, Sep 26, 9:56am
Good one to swap a 3.8 Commodore motor into though.

geminidragon, Sep 26, 6:47pm
i have they are a good truck to do a transplant but i would not attempt it,just after opinions on these motors thanks

intrade, Sep 26, 10:22pm
surf only ever buy the 4 pot petrol one its got over 100hp also v6 all crack rear heads .

chris_051, Sep 26, 10:41pm
Gutless thirsty head gasket blowing shitboxes, but like all toyotas command a price premium cos many sheep think they are bullet proof.The Surfs would have to be the most over rated vehicle in nz.

andy61, Sep 27, 12:45am
Avoid like the plague,the motor had major issues with corroding the engine block leading to blown head gaskets, and very very thirsty,not very powerful for the amount of fuel they drink.If you must have a Surf, look at a 3 litre diesel.

phillip.weston, Sep 27, 2:21am
I had one, got it quite cheap from the previous owner who had just spent a lot of money fixing up the heads and gaskets only to have the transmission lose drive on him. A $20 filter later and it was sorted. Went well enough but yes it was horribly thirsty - it would average about 20L/100km. Would be good as a weekend off-road or tow vehicle, not so good as a daily driver.

hfc2, Sep 27, 8:29am
2.8 diesel only, real good apart from rear window issues.

sw20, Sep 27, 8:46am
Amazingly people put the 3VZ into their MR2's and think they are wonderful.

Would like what they smoke.

phillip.weston, Sep 27, 11:23pm
3VZ-FE from a Camry is not too bad (so long as you address the corrosion issue. 3MZ-FE is even better! It's the 3VZ-E in the Surf which is horribly gutless for their capacity.