Tiptronic transmission?

Page 2 / 2
doctor_evil99, Sep 30, 10:56pm
Had an old Mitsi Galant once with Tiptronic - it's done 270,000km and another Mazda 6 with 150,000km on the clock.Both still had the same auto gearbox. shouldn't make generalisation out of one gearbox failure.

ceebee2, Oct 1, 12:46am
I would totally ignore comments on costing for a new trans.totally over the top comment. I have owned 15 different auto cars in approx 25 years with no problems. If we all tried that theory we wouldn't own an auto!
I also own a Mazda3 (NZ) and it is awesome. I only have the GLX which does NOT have = cruise control, timed intermittent wipers. However the GSX model has all of the above including mag wheels as standard.
Very zippy, economical car. The import version is the Axela.

Forgot to mention mine is the 2.0L model

morrisman1, Oct 1, 1:06am
Intrade drives a VW golf, which is why he has to factor in the cost of a new tranny. Ignore his comments, they are completely unjustified except for one: yes you should factor in cost of servicing the tranny including filter every 50,000km and that will keep away the nasty bills which may occur with a neglected tranny. Manuals are a bit more tolerant to lack of servicing but still not immune

dollydot, Oct 1, 2:15am
Thanks for all the helpful comments.I'm sure automatics are very reliable and am aware they need regular servicing which we do with our cars already so should be fine.There are quite a few Axelas around and am finding it a little harder to find NZ new Mazda 3. Really don't want the unwanted extras imports have like the ugly GPS on the dash and the window visors.

therafter1, Oct 1, 2:26am
And the flicked odo??

dollydot, Oct 2, 12:05am
Sure that's something to watch too.Also think imported versions of NZ new eg. Axela/Demio are way overpriced.

carkitter, Oct 7, 8:39am
As mentioned above 'Tiptronic' is a trademark of Porsche.
Tiptronic has become a generic term among sellers to describe auto trans with some form of sports mode.

During the 90's auto transmissions became available where you could move the lever sideways to enter a sports mode and control when the transmission changes by pushing the lever forward or backward. Porsche called this Tiptronic and the name stuck. Later Porsches added rocker switches to the steering wheel to control the changes.
Some Porsches have F1 style paddles behind the steering wheel; these are often cars with the PDK (Porsche Double Clutch) transmission, which replaced Tiptronic. Other cars have these 'flappy paddles' but not all of them have a double clutch transmission. Double clutch transmissions are the new big thing for sports mode as they allow lightning fast changes for improved control and acceleration.
Porsche cars with PDK are both faster and more economical than their manual equivalents, giving rise to predictions of the imminent death of manual Porsches even as Porsche releases the 7spd manual 911. The new 991 GT3 will be PDK only.

movnon, Oct 7, 9:56am
After owning about 100 manual vehicles & no autos over nearly 50 years & then having a left ankle & left shoulder injury at the same time, it necesitated buying an auto.
I purchased a Carona (240000km)4 speed auto with power/economy switch. The car was in original condition & appeared to have had no work ever done on it.Not only was the driving easy but the fuel economy was excellent (EFI),I quit the car before it reached 300000km with no problems occurring.
I doubt if a manual could make a clutch last 300000km which would probably be a more expensive repair than an 2 or 3 auto services over that many km. (most never get serviced ever).
Although I have now got 2 more manual vehicles, I would not hesitate to get an auto again. Certainly easier on the body!