Tiptronic transmission?

Page 1 / 2
dollydot, Sep 29, 3:59am
Am looking to buy a Mazda 3 hatch and some are advertised as having "Tiptronic" transmission.What is this! Am looking for automatic transmission.Is this auto with some difference!Seems to be more expensive than manual and auto when compared. Any info on tiptronic would be appreciated, cheers.

intrade, Sep 29, 4:11am
tiptronic means you got some buttons to change gears up or down. personally i dont like any form of automatics as most are incorrectly serviced and pooh them selfs in due course. So if you buy a automatic factor in a rebuild of the transmission. prices you get from automatic transmission rebuild places.

franc123, Sep 29, 4:16am
Its an auto trans with normal gears but with a manual override mode, you canselect a particular gear and stay in it, and you can control when it up and down shifts from there, within engine and road speed limits set by a computer.

mugenb20b, Sep 29, 4:55am
!-
!

intrade, Sep 29, 5:05am
to high for you

intrade, Sep 29, 5:08am
let me brake it down for you you got a car automaticyou want to buy . You drive it to automatic transmission rebuild place and ask how mutch it will be for a full rebuild. you write the pricedown and also the price for a full- correct service including sump-gasket and filter-flush. Then you add the price the car costs and the transmission rebuild cost togather as that is what the car is likely ending up costing.

vtecintegra, Sep 29, 5:11am
What a load of rubbish

Anyway you'll probably find all 3s have a tiptronic style selector even if they are advertised as a plain auto

intrade, Sep 29, 5:14am
no rubbish makes complete sense when you factor in the cost then you dont have to cry when it brakes down, but you are as usually only here for arguments. same as on the led-tv thread you say something , i agreee and then you still start arguments for the sake of it i think.

vtecintegra, Sep 29, 5:17am
You were talking just as much rubbish in the TV thread as you are here.

edangus, Sep 29, 5:21am
Goddammit "BREAKS" this a motoring forum!

mugenb20b, Sep 29, 5:26am
Depends on the car. I have had many autos and still have autos. Not one has shown any signs of problems. Our Honda (which is known for its weak tranny) has done 200k, and no problems, ever. I do service my autos every couple of years.

easygoer, Sep 29, 5:38am
I've owned numerous automatic cars over the years and have never had to rebuilt a transmission, in my experience the auto cars give a better life as there is less stress on the drive train because the gears generally change at the correct time, I have had to rebuilt 2 manual gearboxes though so I would say you need to allow for that when buying a manual

jason18, Sep 29, 5:55am
To right! ^^^

dollydot, Sep 29, 6:12am
Thanks for that info. Don't think I want tiptronic transmission but would be happy with an automatic. My husband just said he test drove a new Honda recently with tiptronic style gears and said he felt it was confusing.

Intrade I've never heard of automatic transmission being such a problem. Friends and family mostly have automatics and never an issue at all. Everything from tradies vans to my Dad's 2012 Jaguar. I felt it would be a backward step buying a manual. Sure I have limited detailed understanding of motors but have owned and driven cars for many years and never been warned off an automatic and will be getting auto for sure. Partly due to the fact I will be having surgery on my knee soon and if I don't get an automatic I'll be unable to drive for longer than the 4 weeks recommended.Can't be of the road for that long.We're not talking an ageing Japanese import here but NZ new less than 5 years old car.

gooddealz2, Sep 29, 6:20am
I drove my first car with tiptronic the other day.I usually drive old stuff so it was all new to me but I thought it was fantastic.I prefer manual and my wife prefers automatic so we have a little difficulty when it comes to choosing a second car.I usually buy something to please me as when it's used it's usually me driving it but the moans start when hers is in the garage.Tiptronic would give the best of both worlds.

dollydot, Sep 29, 6:54am
We're a bit like that too so perhaps we'd better try a tiptronic first!

sparkyz, Sep 29, 7:05am
Tiptronic is the current style of automatic transmission shifter. Don't be put off buying an automatic because of it. Go to a reputable car dealer and let them explain how to drive it. Once you are shown how simple it is, you will wonder what all the fuss is about.

robotnik, Sep 29, 7:14am
Tiptronic is a registered trademark of Porsche. Has Porsche licensed the technology to Mazda as it has to a number of other manufacterers, anyone know! If not licensed then it is not Tiptronic but just a similar system.

natedg1, Sep 29, 7:19am
There are still very few proper tiptronic transmissions, most are still a normal auto that will over ride what ever you do with the buttons if you shift outside of the factory settings. Most normal autos can be self shifted with the normal shift lever, tiptronic is the same but you can shift with buttons on the steering wheel. The only autos i would steer clear of are the CVT type which require regular oil changes and use an expensive type of oil.

stevo2, Sep 29, 7:47am
Dollydot. A tiptronic is just your everyday auto transmission but you can hold it in any gear IF YOU WANT TOO. Just the same way you could pull your standard auto down into 2 or 1 if you wanted too.
Otherwise just leave it in Drive and away you go.
Mrs Stevo drives a Mazda3 2.3lt tiptronic and I dont think she's ever used the tiptronic side of the box. And by the way, its done 90,000km and nothing has gone wrong with it.

bmc460, Sep 29, 8:14am
Done 230000 Kays in saab auto and it hasn't crapped yet.

eagles9999, Sep 29, 9:44am
Larf!One bought a car off our old friends Oval and it was a tiptronic which I had never struck before. Asked the guys at Oval how to drive it and they claimed they didnt know.

dollydot, Sep 30, 9:06am
Thanks Stevo, sounds not to scary at all. Great to hear Mrs Stevo's Mazda 3 is going well, seems a great car, nice to have the peppy 2.3 lt too. I am looking forward to getting one. Just waiting to spot one in the right price (and colour!)

smac, Sep 30, 7:39pm
The reality is that once the owner gets over the novelty of a clutchless change they stick it in drive and leave it there.

serf407, Sep 30, 9:04pm
The Mazda 3 appears to have been assembled in Thailand since the start of 2011. I presume you are looking at 2nd gen cars.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda3