Teranno starter engaging but not turning over?

luge_boy, Oct 6, 8:20am
Hopefully someone more clued up can help me , 92 teranno Ive just fitted another starter and solenoid but it doesnt seem to have sorted it

intrade, Oct 6, 8:22am
well what is it manual or automatic diesel or petrol!

usdefault, Oct 6, 8:26am
Alternator.you've fixed the wrong problem.

n1smo_gtir, Oct 6, 8:59am
Check battery terminals too. They can come loose or have that powdery crap build up.

luge_boy, Oct 6, 10:08am
its petrol and manual, the altinator is all good
terminals are good too

lombax, Oct 6, 10:21am
battery fully charged!do you have a imobilizer!maybe faulty,could be an ignition problem,startermotor new or 2nd hand!,and was it tested before you put it in,

monzaman, Oct 6, 10:37am
Maybe your engine is ceased,try to turn engine at crank pulley with power bar or put g/box into second gear,handbrake off and push vehicle-sort of rock it backwards and forwards to see if engine turns over or if near a hill try and roll start it,good luck.

intrade, Oct 6, 10:47am
yup thats why i asked if it wont move remove plugs and inspect the block maybe a big hole with the conrod hanging out is stopping it turning over!

thunderbolt, Oct 6, 10:56am
Hydraulic lock with cylinders full of water!

luge_boy, Oct 6, 7:26pm
Haha sorry to disapoint but nothing is seized, it will start sometimes but not others there doesnt seem to be any pattern to when it starts etcbattery is perfect I even left it on charging all yesterday just to cover that,
starter was 2nd hand but it was tested before installed
I may have to bite the bullet and pay someone to have a look

mrfxit, Oct 6, 8:36pm
Do those starters have an offset gear drive!
If yes (seeing as most do) it's entirely possible that the gear clutch on thestarter is suspect, THO . normally they simply fail totally.
The other issue is the solenoid contacts tend to wear out & JUST before they fail, they can give a similar result by not allowing enough amps to flow.
Another common problem is a fractured solenoid cable joint clip (inside the clip is fractured) again, not allowing enough amps to flow.
Same for battery cable end clips.

intrade, Oct 6, 9:04pm
well then you want to hook a wire seperatly to the starter silanoid and keep it isolatedat the other end with electrical tape and when it wont start you use that wire and hold it on to the plus terminal of the battery making sire the car has hanbrake on and is not in gear when you do this and it should start instantly.
If it does start then you can rule out the starter this way and have to inspect the steering lock electrical part of the key as next thing for faults.
If it dont starts then you got a dud starter simple as that.
another common fault is battery terminal corrosion patina if they show any form of corossion or black patina then you want them clean and greased with special greas rings i think supersheep auto sell them greas rings to pop over and under therminal clamps smearing its grease on therminal and inner side of clamp when they are clean befor fastening. Never hit a terminal of a battery with any tools to get clamps on , for testing jumper cables can be used when it dont starts but not the wrong way round imporatntly plus to plus minus to minus

franc123, Oct 6, 9:11pm
If what has been stated is all in order I'd check and clean the engine earth strap from the starter or block back to the battery, if that doesn't work the next time it happens bridge the small terminal on the starter with the large one that goes straight back to the battery +. If it now goes there is a circuit problem in the switching side of things.

intrade, Oct 6, 9:32pm
on that you cant change contacts but you can have somone start it and somone hit the silanoid with ahammer slightly while it wont starts person holding key in start position and if it then starts you found the problem also it simply is another dud starter, best to buy brand new then like the one in picture is new and thats the sortof price i would say .
place i would also try for price on new starter is (dasko)