Where's my oil going?

Page 1 / 2
mileyfan73, Oct 17, 2:57am
Have a 95 Accord,307000 kms.Changed oil 4000kms ago and the oil level on dipstick always reads very low when I check it.Always has since I bought it at 294000kms.Has had two oil changes since then.I keep topping it up but few hundred k's later its low again!There is no leaks anywhere and it's not visibly burning it,so where is it going!Am currently using 10/40 Magnatec.Dipsticks don't lie do they!Don't want to be overfilling it!

phillip.weston, Oct 17, 3:00am
are you checking the oil every time when the car is on a flat level surface and the engine is dead cold! don't check it while the engine is running or has just been running moments previously, and don't check it while the car is parked on a slope.

mileyfan73, Oct 17, 3:05am
Yes I am checking it on a flat driveway when engine is cold.There is always a thin slither of oil on one side of the dipstick that goes way up past the full mark but am assuming thats just residual oil from the dipstick tube!Generally always just has a thick coating of oil on bottom few millimetres of stick below the 'low' line.

mugenb20b, Oct 17, 3:14am
Leave the engine to idle for 5 minutes and give it a quick big rev, what colour is the exhaust smoke!

tgray, Oct 17, 3:16am
Are you sure you are putting the right amount of oil at oil changes! (2.7Litres I believe).
How long after you change oil does it show as being low!
Yes, the slither up the side is just residue.

bellky, Oct 17, 3:17am
how much is it actually using!

unbeatabull, Oct 17, 3:21am
Wipe the residue/oil off and recheck it - does it still have that residue up one side!

Ive had cars in the past where the dipstick goes into the sump on an angle giving two different readings depending on which way the stick has been put in.

mugenb20b, Oct 17, 3:25am
Should take just under 4 litres.

mileyfan73, Oct 17, 4:46am
Put in 4 litres at last change,took it to exactly on the full mark.Was on the low mark after only 2000kms.Have had to add 2.5 litres in 4500 kms of mainly highway long distance driving.A friend has said it's probably the valve seals.And to do a compression/leak down test on it.Am not overly concerned,its a 16 year old car with high ks,will just keep topping it up for now.Just strange as to where its all going.Did the idle/rev test with someone watching,no discernable smoke at all.

mugenb20b, Oct 17, 4:58am
For some engines, yes.

andy61, Oct 17, 5:11am
Change the Brand of oil,many cars will use oil if Castrol is used,but not other brands of oil.

unbeatabull, Oct 17, 5:13am
You could try a thicker grade oil, being an older car the grade of oil probably isn't quite so important. Not to mention its cheaper to top up with

the-lada-dude, Oct 17, 7:08am
OH COME ON!its either leaking it or friggin burning itFUCGOODNESS SAKE.mind you some one could be pull'n a fast one !

ginga4lyfe, Oct 17, 7:20am
Or Magic squirrels are using the oil to power there crude burning Generator during the winter! Since its nearly summer if the squirrels are really stealing it for there gene then the use should lessen over summer

the-lada-dude, Oct 17, 7:32am
my old 1988 lada uses / leaks 146cc of oil every 1000k'sand it's a tired old motor, so at a guess your celica is totally poked for it's generation

bitsy_boffin, Oct 17, 10:41am
It's the Oil Gnomes
Step 1: Steal Oil
Step 2: !
Step 3: Profit!

drew2009, Oct 17, 1:27pm
With km that high id just fill it up with cheap 20w50, must cost you a bit in magnatec.

jason18, Oct 17, 6:04pm
You could always call into caltex and see if those little fullas wanna jump in the engine to check :) Or use thicker oil. 307kms its not doing to bad.

howie69, Oct 17, 7:36pm
If there are no obvious leaks part of the problem will be your car burning the oil. The grade of oil you are using is too thin for a car with that level of K's. I recommend you do an oil change and filter use a 20/50 grade of oil. There are usually good specials at Repco and Supercheap on oils/filters. You don't need the higher spec magnatecoil for your car

peja, Oct 17, 10:51pm
As other people have said just use 20/50, its cheaper and more suitable for something that age and mileage. I have a Mitsubishi Libero the same age, slightly lower k's, and it uses a litre every 1000 kms. I just put cheap oil in it now, its a tired old hack so no point in burning expensive oil.

Yours may be leaking from a seal or gasket somewhere once the engine heats up and the oil is under some pressure. I see mine coming out the back whenever I accelerate from the lights :-)

curlcrown, Oct 18, 1:23am
its an old car done a lot of km. Just keep putting oil in it and don't worrey about it.

rsr72, Oct 18, 2:04am
Crankcase pressure valve, if it has one, could be pressurising the c'case too much forcing oil vapour past the rings, or a blocked breather!

tuttyclan, Oct 18, 6:43am
In your Honda you should be using FEO VTEC oil 10w-30.Its designed for Honda engines.If it still burns oil try Castrol GTX2 15w 40.I think a 20w 50 may be too thick for the close tolerances of a modern engine but if 15w 40 does not work then try the 20w 50.I use 20w 50 in my 1982 Mitsubishi Sigma with 300,000 km .I know of a 1996 Accord Vti with over 450,000km and still has the original motor.I also have a 1997 Accord VTi with 210,000 km and I am using the 10w 30 FEO VTEC .

snoopy221, Oct 18, 6:52am
.Have had to add 2.5 litres in 4500 kms of mainly highway long distance driving

Well at 307 000 km's just work out how many times the[steel] piston rings have been pushed against the[aluminium] piston lands and just how much **oil pumpimg** is going down at highway speeds-and accept it as
age and mileage oil usage.

treachug, Oct 18, 6:57am
judging by the height of them little fullas the knee-capping may have already been done.