Brake question.

tantric5, Oct 6, 2:40am
Hello.I was sitting in my car and noticed the brake pedal felt spongy.if I held my foot on it and pressed down hard it almost touched the floor. Brake still work ok.when I turned the motor off and then pressed the brakes again the pedal felt firm.

Is it a leaking brake booster! Cars 2001 with 4 wheel discs

chebry, Oct 6, 2:43am
Air dude in your braking system get them bled out its a good idea to have this done periodicly as some brake fluids are hydroscopic.

tantric5, Oct 6, 2:44am
oh cool.thanks.I know its hard to say without looking but you reakon thats all it is!

ema1, Oct 6, 2:50am
Hygroscopic = absorbing moisture from the surrounding air.

tantric5, Oct 6, 2:52am
thanks for that. I had heard of that before.good advice

franc123, Oct 6, 3:14am
It would most likely be a hydraulic leak somewhere or a master cylinder on the way out. If the pedal pumps up firm with the engine off and drops away a bit under your foot after the engine starts you haven't got a booster problem. Air can only get into the system if it has developed a leak or the fluid level has been allowed to fall too low, it doesn't get in there for no reason. Whatever the issue is it needs pro assessment ASAP.

NZTools, Oct 6, 4:11am
Havnt you all forgotten what a booster does!
It will by nature make the brake pedal hard when the engine is swithed off.

How spongy exactly is your brake pedal! the fact that it goes hard when the engine is turned off, is normal.

unbeatabull, Oct 6, 4:25am
As NZTools said .

Pedal should get firm after turning engine off. If turn engine off, should take 2-5 pumps for it to get firm. Once firm, check it doesn't go to the floor. If it doesn't, walk away for 30 mins, come back. It should still be firm on it's first press.

If still all ok. Start up and check it then. With the booster, you can apply more pressure onto the brakes, If it travels further then normal or almost touches the floor you have a problem, usually air in the system, or simply brakes needing adjusting (If you have drum brakes on the front or rear of the car)

Spongey pedals generally occur once driving and a bit of heat in the brakes. That is the true test for the fluid, if theres any moisture in it the pedal will get worst the more you drive it, or the more you use the brakes.

tantric5, Oct 6, 4:42am
ok.thanks for all your input.most appreciated!

I left it for an hour and it was firm at first but if I applied strong pressure it sank almost to the floor. I started it up, gave it 4-5 pumps and again, pressed down hard, almost to the floor.

Last weekend I drove over a mountain range and near the bottom I thought the brakes were pretty spongy but put it down to heat due to the incline. Been driving all week without it being obviously slack.

Drove it today and as above, was surprised it almost went to the floor. Stops ok.but off to the workshop to get it checked out come Monday. Luckily I have another car in the garage I can drive meanwhile.

Cheers

guest, Sep 25, 5:02pm
Hallo Bram !Gefeliciteerd met je nieuwe Quest. Ik zag dat je ook meeten maar de volgende hebt besteld (orderlijst). En ik begrijp dat jouw Mango hier in het zeeuwse rond gaat rijden !Ben je al gewend aan de grotere draaicircel van de quest tov de mango? Want dat zal zeker in de Randstad een grotere rol spelen dan hier in het ruime Zeeland.Afgelopen middag door hevige natte-sneeuw buien naar m'n werk gefietst. Alleen m'n gezicht ijskoud, de rest heerlijk warm binnen de stroomlijn. Dus kwam ik met een bevroren glimlach op m'n werk; duurde zeker een minuut onder de heerlijk warme douche, voordat die glimlach ontdooit was ;-)Maar tijdens zo'n rit heb je onderweg geen last van andere fietsers ..;-)

guest, Sep 28, 3:39pm
Hi TommyCan you take my name on 26 May 2011, 00:47 posadted on Talk Porty, just make it 'kaori' rather than Kaori Simpson. Its just that imceos up on google page if someone type in my name, sorry about that but like not be on google!kaori