03 Vectra - how bad are they?

ryanm2, Oct 5, 5:32am
CDXi - 154000km on the clock. are they as bad as what many say! I know the older ones aren't great but for around 6k they seem like good buying to me.

zephyrheaven, Oct 5, 5:39am
Oil level sensor in sump - tonnes of fun to replace

thejazzpianoma, Oct 5, 5:39am
Coming from the last person to give a European car an unnecessarily hard time. I won't be having another one.

Not terrible, but known for stupid annoying to fix faults due to poor design.

I would rather an Alfa, Fiat, Mercedes, VW, Audi, BMW etc

Points for thinking outside the square though, good on you!
Oh, and easy to get sucked in to those Vectra's they have that nice German feel to drive, just a pity they don't have the typically excellent German engineering to go with them.

zephyrheaven, Oct 5, 5:40am
Waterpump is another gem

zephyrheaven, Oct 5, 5:42am
To drive or to pay for maintenance! $500 for a pair (had to buy a pair) of paddle shifts today on a 159 3.2V6 - lovely car but let down by so so many things ie - still plastic, still likely to fail again soon

thejazzpianoma, Oct 5, 5:42am
Radiator hose is a surprising saga too, I think its still an expensive nightmare on those later ones!

Sheared off exhaust studs are a favorite too.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 5, 5:45am
Both, would happily work on and pay for maintenance on a 156 than a Vectra, actually I kind of do in that I own a 156.

I have not had the experience of a 159 yet, there are a few things about them I am not so keen on as of yet.

Don't forget though, there are several good suppliers of new and used parts. I have bought an entire secondhand steering wheel to replace paddles on a Fiat Abarth before, it was a much cheaper option.

Assuming typical Fiat/Alfa paddles they last O.K unless you catch them on something or some sheila hangs her handbag on them (yes it happens!)

zephyrheaven, Oct 5, 5:48am
Nope, the Polish Delphi switches are very plastic & yuck compared to the rest of the interior
I dont know but when Im paying $60K+ for a 4x4 V6 wagon, I wouldnt mind alloy bits & bobs here & there ya know

Goes like stink however, I was looking for intercooler piping & at least one turbo - but alas, as per - its N/A Alfa at its finest

treachug, Oct 5, 8:57am
You need to stop flogging the dead horse on manifold studs.yes I agreethe Vectra B had issues due to the studs crystalising & snapping but that was on the early B series, around 96-98.
Every model of car has issues, some more than others, I know that, but I'm sure I could google alfa 156 & quickly find reliability issues.
Good on the guy for looking at a Vectra C, as I totally agree with you for him thinking outside the square. Otherise it would be a boring world with everyone driving Toyotas like some on here would like everyone to do.

franc123, Oct 5, 9:05am
Water pumps on 4 cyl Vectra C's are straightforward enough if you have the correct tool for locking the drive sprocket up, you wouldn't attempt to do one without it.

ceebee2, Oct 6, 1:25am
+1, especially when most are seized solid in the block.they also act as cam belt tensioner!