Having a hell of a time bleeding brakes on XA

Page 1 / 2
jason18, Oct 3, 3:15am
Just doesnt want to work for me. Using a 1 man brake bleeder and this bubbles just keep coming. Wondering if they coming from my bleeder screws as they seems quite loose! Any tips! Never had this trouble before. Should I gravity feed them.

jason18, Oct 3, 3:15am
All new fluid through them too!

intrade, Oct 3, 3:19am
get a 2 man bleeder.

jason18, Oct 3, 3:21am
hahaha Dont have two men!

thejazzpianoma, Oct 3, 3:22am
Still the original master cylinder!
Has it been sitting for a while!

jason18, Oct 3, 3:23am
Yeah still on original cylinder. Wondering if time for a new one. Sitting for a week while I rebuilt front end. Maybe I went to far down with brake pedal.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 3, 3:24am
Where's the Mrs!
Mrs Jazz is well practiced in the art of brake bleeding!

jason18, Oct 3, 3:26am
Hhaha yeah she will be a last resort

thejazzpianoma, Oct 3, 3:27am
If they can be had for a reasonable price its probably a good idea, its likely well overdue for replacement. I have a couple classics that could do with new ones too.
There are always kits for them and honing but usually you can get a complete new replacement cheap enough nowadays.
Sitting a week shoudn't worry it, I sometimes have issues with the camper if its been a couple of years.
Just my 2C anyhow, someone else might have a brilliant XA specific idea for you.

jason18, Oct 3, 3:28am
266 + gst and thats trade price. Ouch

thejazzpianoma, Oct 3, 3:30am
About the same price delivered on fleabay too. Perhaps it is worth considering a kit!

splinter67, Oct 3, 3:33am
If youd brought a holden when I told you to you wouldnt be having this problem now lol but the last xa I had to bleed was a right bstard good luck hope the mrs dosent read your post before you ask her

thejazzpianoma, Oct 3, 3:37am
Because he would be more practiced at the task!

bjmh, Oct 3, 3:39am
what ihave done in the past is get some bleeders that will fit the m/cyl .bleed the m/cyl first then fit the pipes one at a time,take the brake light switch out .under the m/cyl body or you will break the end of it .if you stroke to far

ema1, Oct 3, 3:46am
Check the booster to see if there has been fluid seepage from the master cylinder, common fault that gets over looked.
Overhauling the master cyl as a matter of course would be prudent!

jason18, Oct 3, 3:47am
Oh true she might be broken already hahah. always had a problem with stroking to far

jason18, Oct 3, 3:48am
Ok yeah will do that aye!

jason18, Oct 3, 3:51am
Kit is 47 + gst So will do that

jason18, Oct 3, 4:02am
When I pump brakes up it starts to squirt fluidout of seal. Maybe need new seal

xpfairmont, Oct 3, 5:01am
I once had trouble with an XA S/W that had two right hand brake callipers on it.
I had to take one off and hold it up the right way with a block of wood (the same width of the rotor) between the the pads, then bleed. WTF!

Are both brake nipples pointing up!

xpfairmont, Oct 3, 5:03am
^ Oh, that will be it then ^

steve312, Oct 3, 5:13am
There shouldn't be any fluid leaking out of anywhere.Air leaks past seals easier than fluid so I would definitely be rekitting the master cylinder.I have seen the calipers fitted upside down so make sure the bleeders are at the highest point of the caliper.Bench bleed the master cylinder before you refit it to the vehicle.Put a bit of fluid in the reservoir and prime the cylinder.Depress the piston and cover the pipe outlet while you let the piston back.You should be able to see and hear the fluid recharge the cylinder through the bypass ports.Take your finger off the pipe outlet and depress the piston again.Repeat this process until your get a solid stream of fluid out of the pipe outlet.Fit the master cylinder to the vehicle and bleed the system as normal.Good luck.

The switch on the bottom of the cylinder is not the brake switch.It is the brake fail switch and is operated by a sliding rod with a detent in it.It signals when there is a loss of pressure in one of the brake circuits.The rod is forced in either direction activating the switch.Depressing the piston too far can not damage the probe on the switch.It is a good practice to remove the switch after the brakes have been bleed to allow the piston to reset itself.

jason18, Oct 3, 5:42am
OK so that means that the air is pushing past the seals in master cylinder and needs rekitting

jason18, Oct 3, 6:05am
Awesome thanks mate, Will do all this. Cheers

jason18, Oct 4, 9:02am
New master cylinder in and quickly bench bleed. But never got fluid out of the rear valve. Now when bleeding no fluid will come out of rear valve. Will I just have to keep pumping until it decides to bleed out!