Timing belt question

1coppertone, Oct 1, 9:50pm
just replacing leaking water pump off my 1994 diesel cd17 Nissan pulsar.Am wondering if i should be changing the timing belt at the same time. one on it now looks like its in good condition i can still read the writing on it does this mean its fine! i don't know when it was last done the cars presently got 240km on the clock. id rather not have to if its not necessary.thanks in advance

thunderbolt, Oct 1, 10:04pm
If you have no idea when it was replaced, then do it now.

Not worth the risk of leaving it.

Check idler bearings and seals are ok now as well

gmphil, Oct 1, 10:08pm
Guessn if u can still read writing is not too old ,check it forcracks ,fraying if looks ok i would use again have look round engine bay for sticker cambelt last done. Guess was done re 200 thou mark mite bein 220 also check tensioner and bearing is all workin and replace now if not will cause belt brake if fail

jmma, Oct 1, 10:33pm
Make sure you put the old belt on in the same direction it was running before (o:

1coppertone, Oct 2, 2:55am
thanks for all the advise are going to replace the lot now seals included. belt was dry but oil has been heading south from the cam seal and a little seepage from the crank seal also and idle bearing and the tensioner bearing were both rattly. found an old cambelt sticker on the underside of the bonnet its pretty faded but i think it says last replaced with a gates at 100k'ish but the belt i took off is a sun brand not a gates so cant be it. its a nice enough car so i think it worth doing just in case. cheers

skyblue17, Oct 2, 3:32am
Good decision mate

thunderbolt, Oct 2, 4:28am
If it is Sun brand, very good decision.

Only designed for a short life span for the asian market.