Fg xr6 turbo

210sback, Oct 18, 3:58am
Do these run on 91 octane or just 96!Got a territory turbo and owners Manual says runs on both.

unbeatabull, Oct 18, 4:22am
It says it CAN be ran on both. Doesn't mean it will run well or efficiently on 91. I wouldn't use anything less then 95.

rovercitroen, Oct 18, 4:22am
Probably WILL run on 91 but nowhere near as efficiently or smoothly as on 95.

ntalke, Oct 18, 4:22am
Have a BF Turbo and run it on either 96 or 98

91 octane is for the Rideon

lazzo, Oct 18, 7:17am
Go to BP and run it on 98 Octane, you will not regret it.

seryuu, Oct 18, 9:42am
ACTUALLY.it depends. What octane a car should run on depends on the compression ratio of the motor. A turbo car generally should have lower compression and in theory can run on 91 (though my Z32 TT doesn't like it). I would trust the user manual, it wouldn't lie to you. They won't put something wrong in so it damages your engine and hence cost them warranty money to fix.

clark20, Oct 18, 9:44am
Don't know much about turbo motors , do ya!

panelvanner, Oct 18, 9:45am
Run it on 95 for Optimum Power andTorque. At least the factory rated specs are for 95 fuel anyway. It will run fine on 91, but at say 8c/L difference, over 60L, its only $5-00 difference at the pump.
I'd run on 95. I do in my Falcon.

johnf_456, Oct 18, 9:53am
Run it on 95, you will get better economy anyway.

smac, Oct 18, 7:01pm
My FG non-turbo runs best, and cheapest on 98. I would expect the same or perhaps even more advantage for the turbo.

kwkbrk, Oct 18, 8:05pm
You`ve made my eyes hurt just reading this. That might work for naturally aspirated engines but never ever for any motor that has forced induction of any kind.

illusion_, Oct 18, 8:18pm
it's correct . until you actually start it up

mopsy3, Oct 18, 11:26pm
Why would you want to run 91 in it anyway! To save a couple of cents per litre!

chook90, Oct 19, 4:45am
My Typhoon ran on 98 all the time, my current XR6 turbo runs 98 when I am near it or 96 the rest of the time. I would NEVER consider putting 91 in unless there was absolutely no other option and even then it would only be enough to get me to a decent supply.

Might be standing on toes here but I simply cant figure why anyone would buy a $40,000 + motor car and then try to save 4 cents a litre by putting inferior fuels in it.

As for a turbo car having lower compression ratio that is a truly over simplified view. They also happen to have significantly higher intake air temperatures (yes, even with an intercooler). Higher octane fuel burns at a cooler temperature whereas 91 is more likely to contribute to detonation and a nice expensive engine rebuild.

Moral of the story, if you want to scrimp on fuel go buy a Prius.

lusty9, Oct 19, 7:32am
I liked this post. Brings a little reality to the thread.

unbeatabull, Oct 19, 7:44am
Also Higher octane has a much higher flashpoint which is the main issue with using low octane fuels in forced induction cars, where the lower octane and lower flashpoint pre-ignites due to combustion temperatures etc.