Tyre experts - opinions please

neo_psy, Oct 14, 6:03am
Howdy y'all,

Looking for a suitable tyre for my step-father's car.

2004 Commodore Executive. 225/60 R15
Old man occasional driver (only done 47K from new)
Not driven much, but he drives pretty hard. Reasonably hard on the machine.
Mainly (90+%) round town pottering.
Still has the OEM Bridgestone hoops on it. Looking for probably a mid-range tyre - don't want the cheap unknown brand, but no point in buying top-of-the-range.

Firestone's website suggests Supercats. Are these a reasonable product!

He would have a tendancy of turning up to a shop and taking whatever they suggest (regardless of price) so I want to pre-empt that.

TIA.

edangus, Oct 14, 6:10am
Falken

neo_psy, Oct 14, 9:58am
Falken what!

intrade, Oct 14, 10:02am
he recons you should buy falken high performance i guess.
if you dont ever go on long fast windy roads then the supercrap would be ok, i personally would get nexen or something or if you want the best michelin

howz_that, Oct 14, 10:08am
If you go to a 215 width then you will have a better choice of tyres as the 225 is not that common. It was mostly used on cop cars

edangus, Oct 14, 10:13am
Sorry - Falken ZE912 - Dunlop SP Sport is also not too shabby as is Yoko C Drive 2.
Can get Falkens for a damn good price though.
**Disclaimer** No expert, just buy a lot of tyres.

gmphil, Oct 14, 10:36am
Turanza,spolice use em too

edangus, Oct 14, 10:43am
can ya get in a 225/60/15! thought they only did max 215 in a 15"

Good Tyre though

gmphil, Oct 14, 10:51am
Yup ran a across them couple years back when hard up tyre guys ive got couple second in there were those used ever since yup good tyre

ropes2, Oct 14, 12:01pm
Different rolling diameter though, those say 225 55, so are smaller.

neo_psy, Oct 15, 6:05am
Yeah - this was meant to be a police car, but was a cancelled order. I think it's the Turanzas it's running (or Potenzas, I can't remember).

Will 215s fit on the wider rims!

supernova2, Oct 15, 10:05am
Doubt that you would find a "meant to be police car" new in NZ.Cops don't order cars then change their mind.I suspect you have an ordinary one thats had a bit of dealer "improvement".In other words a "con job".

hatchback, Oct 15, 10:15am
Yes I have 225/60x15 Supercats on my old VP work wagon, love them, feel good in the wet and all. I priced turanzas but they were about $260 but the cats were $150ish

hatchback, Oct 15, 10:17am
Not enough to make a difference

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

clark20, Oct 15, 10:47am
They are 16" not 15", will handle and look better, bolt on improvement

neo_psy, Oct 16, 6:24am
Not that it matters, but nope - were part of an order by the Police (well, by the lease company that the Police use, I understand) and there was 54 VY2 Executives that the order was cancelled on. Holden tendered all of them to their dealers and they ended up with Mark Cromie Holden in Whangarei who replaced the wiring loom and flogged them off.

Had the wider tyres, LSD, side airbags, FE2 suspension, electric windows all round, etc.
I bought one, and my stepfather bought another one.

Again, not that it matters as I was only looking for advice on tyres.

Anyway, looks like the Supercats will be the best solution for him.

mantagsi, Oct 16, 7:13am
Whats the secret! I put four brand new supercats on my caldina and holy shit, it is like driving on an ice rink, I can't believe how crappy they are. It has been a few months, of course they still have heaps of tread but I am seriously considering ditching them. Worst tyres I have ever had

icemans1, Oct 16, 11:53am
falken hell

supernova2, Oct 16, 11:58am
As you say was nothing to do with your question but thanks for the info.Its like that in Motoring one thing leads to another and often little gems are unearthed.The involvement of the lease coy explains it all.Cheers.

ema1, Oct 16, 9:50pm
I have Yokohama A-Drive tyres on my car 205/65x15 and I am very happy with the performance so far.
Quiet, surprisingly good in both the wet & dry, and the car handles miles better now since I had them fitted.
They grip the corners good to, I have been told by others they do pretty good mileage distances too though I've yet to prove that point.
2001 Toyota Avalon 3 litre V6.

pigdog_custom, Oct 17, 9:20am
i work at a tyre shop.firestone would try an sell u a bridgestone product as they are bridgestone.as for supercat.from experience is a bottomline item and offers very little in terms of anything
unless u want top end performance any directional tyre will perform to your needs import or not