Wof rules for Exhaust

jason18, Oct 13, 5:10am
Hey guys, Xa is up for a wof end of month and Im getting different views on what is legal. Exhaust man said its sweet as to run my pipes out to behind the back wheel or in front if its a coupe. Mines a 4 door so was thinking behind back wheel. Went to see my usual wof man and he said it has to exit out the back yet another wof man told me behind back wheel is fine. What is legit! Currently they dump before diff. Obviously I want to use my usual guy as he has helped me out alot and want to support his business. So thinking I will get them flanged and make a couple of sets of pipes up to change as I feel.

extrayda, Oct 13, 5:52am
My XA dumped just behind the back wheels, and never had an issue with a WOF (sedan).My HQ was the same (behind back wheels / sedan).I thought the rule was that they had to exit behind the doors! Not a WOF inspector though.I was more concerned with the Db limits for mine :-)

splinter67, Oct 13, 5:56am
Mine dump behind the back wheelsunless Im feeling naughty then its right by the front doors and its got a new wof

chebry, Oct 13, 6:26am
A lot of American cars exhausts exit behind the rear wheel factory so reall could not be fail;ed for doing so but Australian cars exit stock behind the bumper or out the R/H side for reverse angle parking Id set it up like it was stock then no hassles with piggies

sandypheet, Oct 13, 6:36am
5. The exhaust system is so constructed that emitted heat or fumes are likely to harm vehicle occupants, eg the exhaust gases are not directed away from the perimeter of the vehicle??

jason18, Oct 13, 6:37am
Yeah I have never had a hassle with exhaust. I go to the gym with alot of cops and they love how it sounds (its bloody loud) ha ha. They know the exhausts dump at diff as I told them when they were checking it out. Ok might go for stock set up but get it flanged. Cheers

jason18, Oct 13, 6:38am
Yeah so as they are now under rear seats they are illegal but past back wheels should be sweet

unbeatabull, Oct 13, 8:02am
Exit is suppose to be 150mm from the Door/passenger compartment and directed away from the passenger compartment.

jason18, Oct 13, 8:18am
Thanks mate.

mrfxit, Oct 13, 8:48pm
Without making me look up the spec's . YEP correct.
150mm beyond the last door opening that has access to the passengers compartment & pointing out 'level or beyond' the door sill.

Saying it that way, includes any passenger doors but excludes any sealed back tool box's

splinter67, Oct 13, 9:04pm
Hmm strange we have a supposed AVI on here strange as soon as a wof question comes up he disperses come on john give us the answer

sandypheet, Oct 13, 10:02pm
11 Exhaust

11-1 Exhaust system

Reasons for rejection
Tables and images
Summary of legislation

Mandatory equipment

1. A vehicle is not fitted with an exhaust system that includes a means of sound reduction (Note 1) (Note 6).

2. A light vehicle is presented for a WoF or CoF because it has been ordered off the road (pink- or green-stickered) by an enforcement officer for non-compliant exhaust noise, and there is no evidence that the vehicle has passed an LVVTA objective noise test since the vehicle was ordered off the road (Note 4), ie:

a) the owner cannot produce a valid objective exhaust noise emissions test certificate (Figure 11-1-1) issued after the vehicle was ordered off the road (Note 5), and

b) the exhaust system tail pipe is not fitted with a valid LVVTA noise test label (Figure 11-1-2).

Condition

3. An exhaust system is not securely mounted.

4. The exhaust system is so constructed or modified that its operation or effectiveness can be readily interfered with, eg the driver is able to interfere with the exhaust system by operating a manual switch, or the exhaust is fitted with a flame thrower kit.

5. The exhaust system is so constructed that emitted heat or fumes are likely to harm vehicle occupants, eg the exhaust gases are not directed away from the perimeter of the vehicle??

jmma, Oct 13, 10:11pm
He is still on Google (o:

splinter67, Oct 13, 10:14pm
yup good call

johnf_456, Oct 13, 11:18pm
I am not sure who you mean but since you are looking for a fight as usual there is none to be had as yes i am one.

splinter67, Oct 13, 11:23pm
so what is the answer then I know what it is in Napier but as we all know what is right at one place is not always right somewhere else

johnf_456, Oct 13, 11:27pm
You tell us rather than attacking when you know

splinter67, Oct 13, 11:32pm
Im asking for an Auckland opinion behind the back wheels in Napier is fine not sure if it will be in auckland everyone interprets rules differently

elect70, Oct 14, 1:00am
I hadtwin pipes dump out rhson my chargercobymuffs onbut too loud for WOF manso4 packets ofpolypadsup the pipes& returnedweek later & passed. Removed when got home