Volkswagen Experts please!

gingercrush, Oct 11, 2:43am
I have that car except I have boring old grey. Haven't had to fix things though DP managed to smash the side mirror. Prior to the Golf I was driving a Suzuki Swift. Was a bit of a shock to be honest. I find $90 doesn't even the fill tank and fuel economy while decent. Doesn't seem to last long either.

Maybe a manual would be better and more efficient!

trogedon, Oct 11, 2:49am
2 litre is a large engine for a run around.

helicooze, Oct 11, 2:53am
Well at the moment all we have is a Toyota Prado, so anything is better than that!

thejazzpianoma, Oct 11, 3:15am
I love the Golf but wouldn't own anther Polo of that age group, the Polo's only got properly good in very recent history.

What I advise you do OP is to buy the first of the next model Golf (2004 onwards, that one is also 2004 but the last of the old) you are all but spending that much money anyway and the difference in economy is monumental. Not just economy either, the old MK4 was good but the MK5 just blew the opposition away, only of the last year or so have other manufacturers really started to offer what you could get in a MK5 Golf 8 years ago!

Of the many very cool features of the MK5 its the much more fuel efficient DSG transmission which will give you the same economy as a manual, plus it has the terrific FSI engines which run mega lean that steal the show.

You won't believe the economy and power you get.

If you can't afford the 10K+ for the next model and don't mind having a two door you will find the two door Audi A3 (which is exactly the same car as the Golf with a different body from the floor up) can be had from about $7500.

Of the two new engines (2.0 and 1.6) the 2.0 is far superior offering much the same economy but heaps more power. Do however be aware that most will be due a big service (timing belt, waterpump, tensioners and transmission) which will cost you a bit (I would budget around $2000) but once that is done you will have 5 years of motoring with only the very occasional oil/filter change ahead of you.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 11, 3:17am
Not only fuel economy but service intervals as well. If you set the newer model Golf to "variable intervals" where the computer monitors things and schedules your service accordingly. You may find you are getting up to 2 years/38'000km between oil changes, it will depend on your use and driving style though.

00quattro00, Oct 11, 3:54am
Are you prepared to die of boredom when driving it! They are so slow it isnt funny, the gti standard is only just good enough

thejazzpianoma, Oct 11, 3:56am
Another reason to go for the MK5 2.0 FSI, which will give you performance fairly similar to the MK4 GTI but with better economy.

curlcrown, Oct 11, 4:31am
If you realy must have a golf only get a manual.

helicooze, Oct 11, 5:08am
Dont have to have a Golf, I just like them. what would you suggest for driving to and from bus stops, around town and going about 200kms round trip for boarding school pick ups!

thejazzpianoma, Oct 11, 5:11am
The MK5 Golf is still what I would suggest (not the MK4 you were looking at), they were the bees knees at the time and still are about the best thing around for that money.

You are talking a properly featured, safe, grunty car with fuel economy that many Japanese 1.3 auto's will struggle to match.

So long as you have the budget for it.

Speaking of which, what is the upper end of your budget!