Car failed WOF for "screaching brakes"

Page 1 / 2
p1glet, Oct 10, 2:20am
The WOF guy said to get the tyre guy (I needed a new rear tyre also) to have a look while the tyre was off and write on the WOF form that the brakes were ok. He - understandably - wouldn't do that.
I had the pads replaced 13 months ago, and had the garage look at them about three weeks ago when in for a service and they didn't say anything needed doing. They also don't "screach" they occasionally make a little whistle which the car has done since I bought it.
I've never been told about this as a problem before - is this usual for a warrant! Surely it should be based on that test that says wether the brakes actually work or not!
I am more than happy to pay to get the brakes fixed if they needed it, however I'm feeling annoyed that I'm going to have to pay the mechanic to confirm they are ok. The WOF guy said if they do this he will pass it. Is this usual! It was VTNZ.
Cheers in advance.

curlcrown, Oct 10, 2:36am
Screaching brakes are not a fail, only the performance of them and the thickness of the pads. If the pads can not be seen without removing the wheels they can't fail them. It is very unprofeicanal to ask someone else to check them.

pauldw, Oct 10, 2:52am
The screech could be the tell tale on the pad touching the disc ("worn below manufacturer??

p1glet, Oct 10, 2:58am
I know that screech from my last car which I'd ignored, and learnt my lesson from!
I drove it today with stereo off, all windows down, and with my head hanging out the driver window there is a faint whistle on occasion. But it has always made that whistle, even straight after new pads were put on.

beno, Oct 10, 3:15am
what he said.

llortmt, Oct 10, 3:21am
LOL another arm chair AVI
Yes they can fail it if they believe it may compromise safety and yes they can ask you to provide evidence before they pass it.

ct9a, Oct 10, 4:47am
more then likely being a "visual " inspection the visability of the outer pad may not of bean veiwable hence him asking you to do that.

yogibearz, Oct 10, 4:51am
Very well said the testing station closest to the workshop i ran didnt know sweet F a and we frequently had people coming in asking if a ball joint was within spec etc.A pain in the bum to say the least.

curlcrown, Oct 10, 4:55am
So some of you guys would fail brakes only if they made a screaching noise!

trogedon, Oct 10, 5:02am
"screaching" is a FAIL alright - a spelling FAIL.

llortmt, Oct 10, 5:03am
Dependent on the volume and tone of such screeching and assuming I cant see the pads (which is very rare) I'm going to say yes.
And you'll cry. Where's that in the VIRM!

curlcrown, Oct 10, 5:07am
Reminds me of the time some one told me he failed me bacause a wheel bearing was worn. When I asked which one he said he couldn't tell but he could just hear the noise.

llortmt, Oct 10, 5:09am
Don't blame the player blame the game mate!

rover79, Oct 10, 5:22am
Is it the wind whistling through a join somewhere or over a panel join.
If the WOF guy has a concern then I think it reasonable to ask the tyre guy to check since he has to have the wheel off. I have heard that cheap pads can be stuffed in a very short time. better to be sure than sore.
If there is a noise difference from using the brakes and not using them then there is something going on.

supernova2, Oct 10, 6:47am
Could be one pad in backwards - oh no thats only larko at bathurst.

p1glet, Oct 10, 6:50am
Thanks everyone for your answers :)
Ok, I've been listening to them today.
If I'm driving along and want to slow down e.g. to let someone in, there is no noise at all.
If I'm slowing at the lights there is no noise.
If I'm braking when pulling into a park there is a brief very slight whistle (which has always happened). And if I'm reversing out of a park and use my brakes there is the same brief whistle.
And I noticed this evening after it had been parked a while, I reversed out of a park, used the brake and there was a definite but brief whistle, which didn't happen by the time I got down the road to the lights.
Apart from the last example, to hear the rest I had to have my head literally hanging out the window to hear them.
I would have them replaced in a second if I thought they needed them.
But like I said it was serviced three weeks ago and I asked them to check the brakes and of the work they recommended brakes wasn't in there.
Plus what about the rolling thing they use to test them - shouldn't it be based on that! Isn't that what tells them your brakes are not up too scratch!

p1glet, Oct 10, 6:51am
Lol that is how the WOF guy wrote it hence the quotation marks.

ceebee2, Oct 10, 6:55am
If the disc pads have the "wear indicators" on them and they are touching the disc then they will emit a high pitched screeching.bit like finger nails on a black board which will become constant as they touch all the time. It has a distinct sound as opposed to many other noises. Quite subjective to fail without sighting the disc pads. Well worth a challenge in the regs I reckon.

magicmat, Oct 10, 6:57am
So glad I have a great WOF place that doesn't pull all the crap I previously tolerated from VTNZ etc.

Tyres and a park light bulb were all I needed this time, unlike VTNZ who have failed me on idiotic issues previously. Nothing worse than having an idiot doing your WOF check when you already know what you need (though admittedly I did miss the blown park light) but they find something ludicrous to fail you on. My new pads 'screeched' until I wore them down a bit. I would have been pretty irate if I had failed.

unbeatabull, Oct 10, 7:09am
Unfortunately I've seen quite a few work experience or fresh apprentices do it as well.

40wav, Oct 10, 7:59am
p1glet wrote:
If I'm driving along and want to slow down e.g. to let someone in, quote]

You obviously don't normally drive in Nelson then.

un_known, Oct 10, 8:42am
just out of curiosity what are some of the ludicrous things you have been failed on!

splinter67, Oct 10, 8:47am
yup but not on international tv best laugh of the day apart from the ford supporters thinking they were in with a chance

magicmat, Oct 10, 8:49am
I failed with last car on wiper blades. Now I know you can fail on them but the idiot doing the check must have needed bi-focal lenses or something as I had no issues at all with the wipers. Funny thing was, the new ones were no better at all which suggested there was nothing wrong with them. Another one was a bulb in the licence plate (which had 2) but it was still clearly visible. I realise that is a fail reason but a decent (or even useless) mechanic would be able to replace it, not insist that you waste another part of another day coming back for such a trivial reason to recheck. I could understand if my car was a danger to other road users but I fail to see how wiper blades and one of two plate bulbs is a hazard.
I was failed for a seatbelt that I am sure they said was faded but it was long ago.

kwkbrk, Oct 10, 8:06pm
Obvious solution to the problem is . don`t get your WOF`s done at VTNZ. Mine are done by the workshop that services my cars . and if it has a dodgy wiper or a bulb out they change them.
VTNZ won`t do that . in fact I know there will be howls of protests but one of the mechanics who worked at that workshop is now the manager of a VTNZ in the region. and he has told me that they have instructions that if they fail a car it has to be by enough separate things to require a full re test needs to be paid for. such as a wiper, a bulb, a noisy brake or a suspected noisy wheel bearing.
I would advise that you stay well away from them.