Buying a car on Trade Me advice?

gypsy271, Oct 9, 8:01am
Hi there my mother and I are buying a car and want to know what are your thoughts on buying off trade me and what tips you have for doing so! Thanks

3tomany, Oct 9, 8:03am
get it checked out if you thought dealers tell porkies just wait until you meet a trade me seller

pebbles61, Oct 9, 8:06am
Personally I wouldn't buy one from any site/paper ad etc unless I can see and test drive it. Also don't be afraid to walk away.

3tomany, Oct 9, 8:08am
oh yea and dont pay untill you have seen it

heavydee, Oct 9, 9:03am
Always view and drive the car before bidding or negotiating.If you think it's good then get a mechanical inspection done to make sure, then bid away.

kiwitracy, Oct 9, 9:13am

jane310567, Oct 9, 9:30am
Listed and sold mine the same day on T/Me - easy as. The buyer test drove and had a look underneath and at the motor - had complete mech records - always serviced regularly. I would have been fine with a mech check tho.I would get one or get a friend who knows motors to have a look. Car yards are usually about 30% more costwise and they only usually give 6 mths warranty.

howie69, Oct 9, 9:36am
Bought and sold cars on TM and recommend you get the car checked brfore buying. Read the sellers feedback also, this tells a lot about the person you are buying from. Also check if there is a warrenty or not. Do all this before bidding. It's buyer beware, but great bargains to be had if you are careful, dont let them rush you into bidding before any check. Cheers and good luck

ceebee2, Oct 10, 1:25am
Just get it mechanically checkedand test drive it always. Check the oil and water (Cool / cold engine) before test drive in case they are low or you might get caught with a blown engine. Have a good look around, even the novice buyer can pick up on rust / damage etc

ceebee2, Oct 10, 1:26am
Something else I have done also in the past is if you do get it mechanically checked and decide not to buy you can offer the check to the seller for half the cost of the check. Worked for me.