Mazda 6, Honda Accord, VW Passat ?

Page 1 / 2
themaimai, Oct 19, 8:47pm
Looking to purchase a used car shortly, have been looking around and seem to have narrowed it down to the three above, just wondering if anyone has any pros and cons on all three!Looking to spend approx $13K, would like around 2004/2006 model, needs to be auto, have good safety, and not be too greedy on fuel.Or any other suggestions we should consider!Thanks.

splinter67, Oct 19, 8:51pm
buy the vw hahaha beat ya jazz

cuda.340, Oct 19, 8:52pm
Mazda 6 is the winner hands down, good resale value too.

intrade, Oct 19, 9:25pm
what are you looking for in the car! i would do some research as to what servicing costs are and what fails brakes down on each of them then make a list of things you likes and a list of problems then choose from that. then next step will be finding a car that was not mistreated full service history paperwork and a check over by your trusted mechanic to be sure the car is not a dud, as any can be bombs .

thejazzpianoma, Oct 19, 9:39pm
If you can get into a new shape Passat (starts 2005) it just blows everything else out of the water. Its not easy to get one for 13K but it is possible, I even saw a cracker go for 10K a while back but it takes patience and then a quick move with the cash at the ready when one comes up.

Its well worth the effort though, the others are a good 10 years behind the new Passat and don't come close for equipment, economy/power, low service requirements etc

VW parts are very well priced in this country and the Passat's are excellent to work on. The 2.0T FSI Petrol and the 2.0 DIesels are particularly good, you will be amazed at the power and economy of both of these engines. The 1.9 Diesel is the one to avoid though, its too slow IMO.

Also, don't forget to look at the Audi and Skoda equivalents, these are basically the same car in a different party dress, by casting a wide net into these brands you have better chances at getting a bargain. Just remember you want the equivalent new model of each.

Happy shopping.

craig04, Oct 19, 9:40pm
You should be able to get a 2011 Passat for that money

thejazzpianoma, Oct 19, 9:43pm
Sounds great, I will take a couple at that thanks, will even throw you a finders fee.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 19, 9:43pm
BTW, if you decide to get a Passat let me know and I will be happy togive you a bit of a buyers guide as to what to look for etc.

clark20, Oct 19, 9:50pm
Passat is boring, get a Honda 6 speed

thejazzpianoma, Oct 19, 9:51pm
Have you ever even driven a 2.0T or the 3.2 Passat with 6 speed DSG!
(BTW 6 gears is standard on the Passat)

clark20, Oct 19, 10:13pm
Yes, we have 2 at work, sister has a GTI Mk5 golf , mate has an 2007 S3. Not the 3.2 however I do not think they asked that question. I have plenty of experience with VW, and thats why I drive a Commodore. VW, European Toyotas.

clark20, Oct 19, 10:14pm
Have you driven a Commodore with over 300Kw!

splinter67, Oct 19, 10:15pm
So your advice would be buy a holden like it

clark20, Oct 19, 10:20pm
No , I would not advise that, as they did not ask that question. Only a muppet would always steer people away from good choices, they are good cars they asked about.

Edit: not you, splinter!

trdbzr, Oct 19, 11:13pm
The Mazda 6 and Accord Euro are both excellent cars. Very reliable and no issues at all. They also have good resale value. Don't bother listening to the Euro fanboy, he's a compulsive liar, and in many instances when hes been told to put up or shut up, he chooses the latter.

kingfisher21, Oct 19, 11:19pm
Honda, I was in the same boat a while back, bought a 2004 Accord Euro L, they didn't win car of the year for nothing, excellent car to drive, lot smoother and quieter than a Mazda 6.

cuda.340, Oct 19, 11:25pm
i don't know if this is 100 % true, but his call on the 2,0 diesel VW Amorak was total crap, drove one to check, nah total junk!

themaimai, Oct 20, 12:16am
And also something else I forget to ask in my original question, is there any advantage of going NZ new as opposed to an Import!

Thanks again!

mugenb20b, Oct 20, 12:30am
I wouldn't bother looking at a Passat in that price range, if you want one, get some kind of mechnanical insurance.

There are no problems with Accords or 6s, both fantastic cars with excellent handling and superb build quality.

I was going to suggest you look at a Ford Mondeo and Nissan Teana as well, both are good cars and value for money.

clark20, Oct 20, 1:27am
NZ new would be preferable, however a good service record is required from anywhere it comes from. Legacys are nice, but not a good track record for reliability, well not like the Accord and 6.

ryanm2, Oct 20, 1:44am
thats the last of the old shape Passat's. The new 2005 onwards look vastly different. As someone else has said why not the 2003 onwards Subaru Legacy. They have proven themselves with this generation to be great cars.
Im completely impartial, ive owned 2 Passats, great cars but if you get a clunker they can cost a lot in repairs, but thats the same as any car I guess these days.

ryanm2, Oct 20, 1:47am
Also, with regards to Subaru, the new Toyota sports coupe is using a Subaru engine (shared technology). Subaru have persisted with their boxerengine for 25 years now so they are a lot better / fuel efficient than they used to be. We have also owned a mk3 mondeo, great cars, would buy one again.

nzdoug, Oct 20, 1:57am
2005 Paasat B6 TDI AWESUM CAR.
1200 km hwy 60L. Diesel.
100,000kms.
Regular service + rubber.
Sold it to go Passat CC - really flash!

tuttyclan, Oct 20, 5:42am
Honda Accord would be my choice.

skull, Oct 20, 6:18am
Yes and mine too, get the L version = leather and sunroof. I think they have a few more ponies than the Mazda 6, Honda has 148kw.