V8 Supercar race withdrawal

Page 2 / 3
mokaubach, Sep 30, 7:56am
Absolutely!

patiki1, Sep 30, 8:00am
New Plymouth

socram, Oct 18, 2:34am
Look in (Herald presumably) newspaper tomorrow.

twink19, Oct 18, 4:06am
Wnenuapai will be no good.council didnt hesitate to spend millions to have a one off rugby world cup, why not for spend long term for V8s

gasngo2, Oct 18, 7:28am
i heard a rumour that puke might get a face lift,ie track extension going in feild ,any one else heard this! hampton needs a ton of money thrown at it to finish the rest of the track.

tigra, Oct 18, 8:06am
Rumours about facelifts and improvements for Puke have been around for decades.

serf407, Oct 18, 8:17am
How much money has been spent at Hamilton setting up and taking down the track each year !
How much money is required to buff up HD !
Whenuapai would still need a resource consent etc.

Would it be better to host a round of the greenest eco-racing series(that can be found) than a green washed v8 round !

socram, Oct 18, 9:21am
Just a rumour.It is still first and foremost a horse venue and will probably be so until such time as the Franklin race club elects to sell.

Although I love racing there, there are almost as many temporary structures required for the V8s as there would be for Whenuapai!Pukekohe does not have pit garages or hospitality suites, nor enough stands, but it does have one covered stand and some permanent facilties such as race control.

If it heads for HD, there are still two major sticking points still to be resolved - one of which has probably been partially resolved (today) and one that could be if the various agencies involved put their minds to it.

Let's wait and see what is in the paper though, as I don't know what is in the article!

socram, Oct 18, 8:03pm
The article (in the motoring section) mentions comments from Jim Barclay (former base commander of Whenuapai) as to the difficulties of staging a race there.
Greg Murphy appears to be happy enough to race at HD even without extending the circuit, making reference to the fact that there are already Australian tracks that are shorter than HD.

As I understand it, the traffic restrictions as currently imposed on HD are a nonsense and we knew they were from day 1, as anyone who was at Pukekohe for the V8s knows that traffic was not a problem.Getting those restrictions eased and a proper traffic management plan in place for a big event is no big deal.But, it relies on the authorities doing their bit, instead of standing in the way.

Remember it was Transit NZ who took HD to court in the first place, along with Corrections, (and they lost) delaying the whole project by two years and costing both the developers and the taxpayer millions.

The other objection from the V8s and is also a real bee in the proverbial bonnets of MSNZ is the trackside apartments and the ability of owners to watch for 'free'.There are 80 units at a max of 10 per unit so it is not exactly big numbers, but they seem obsessed by it.What they seem to overlook is that the profits from selling those units provided the initial finance to getting the circuit running in the first place.Those purchasers took a huge risk when they signed up, as at that stage, there was no guarantee that racing would ever take place, so fair dos, without them (us!), there would not be a HD.

With the government and councils seemingly able to conjure up millions for a one off rugby tournament, then it is only fair to expect them to right the past wrongs (of a previous government) by reimbursing HD for the extra costs and delays, enabling them to continue developing the track and the infrastructure for the long term benefit of motorsport fans.

socram, Oct 18, 9:44pm
Agree that Wellington was probably the best racing ever in NZ, but the ever tougher safety standards and the disruption that is inevitable, plus the massive costs make it a tough call.Spectating at at street circuit is also a problem as you can rarely see more than one section of the track.

No F1 track anywhere in the world makes money out of a F1 race.They rely on subsidies by governments or the host circuits.Aussie V8s are also demanding of locals (if it had made a profit for Hamilton, do you think it would still be there!).

twink19, Oct 19, 1:05am
it doesnt matter what we think, or where we think it should be,its up to V8 SupercarsTony Cockrane who will deceide

elect70, Oct 19, 1:45am
Wellington couldnt do it now . Thewharfhas been developed withcommercialenterprises on it&parksCouncil know from experience thehuge cost .Cant see a street racefor V8anymore . But as abovethe decision will be madein Aus .

lookoutas, Oct 19, 4:53am
Doesn't mater where the heart is - population will decide the venue.
So HD is it. And it should be.

rob_man, Oct 19, 4:57am
Up West Coast Rd, down Forest Hill Rd, Kellys Rd back to West Coast Rd.
Perfect

gasngo2, Oct 19, 8:28am
socram what class do you race in!

jason_247, Oct 19, 8:41am
v8supercars has approached HD and basically laid down a take it or leave it offer of " you put in this huge chunk of money and finish the track how we want, in return we are giving no commitment to do anything"

presumably HD said no

pollymay, Oct 19, 10:56am
Can't wait for that day, they are true prats to deal with. They owed money to my dad for a while after he fixed their tractor even after he threw in some free stuff. The horsey people with tractors directed to us through them were also problematic with paying up even though they owned massive blocks of land and new range rovers.Then when we'd go to a track day they would kick up a stink then wander over and "oh hey, so I've got another problem with my tractor your dad fixed I want you to look at.don't want to be charged just come hava look"

Got sick of it, hope they go broke and have to sell, no pity.

marmatt, Oct 19, 6:28pm
hampton wont get it and never wiill as long as tony cockrane i in charge o v8 super carsface it if it doesnt go to whunipi air base it wont be here

patiki1, Oct 19, 6:41pm
I dont think a motor racing fan would pay $1300 for a ticket like some people did yesterday.

serf407, Oct 19, 6:53pm
Better to have a mates race (V8 supercar drivers teamed with super tourers/ drivers) at HD than spending on temporary circuits.

socram, Oct 19, 7:57pm
I'd love to know where you got that from!Please tell us who at HD or V8 supercars you have physically spoken to.

socram, Oct 19, 8:01pm
Classics - AES/Tradezone Series (formerly the Leisuretime Series).

ninja_man, Oct 19, 8:07pm
yeah those roads are nice. i bit tight though, piha road would be better

marmatt, Oct 20, 1:00am
guess tie will tell thenif im right

elect70, Oct 20, 1:25am
HD wont be bullied into anything, they took onroads board & Prisons &MSNZ&won albeit at huge cost .Bet anothercountry will get iti heardMaccauwas interestedseeing as how F1 doesnt race there anymore &Chocrane &co have stated they want to expand it to more countries- more $$$than theycould ever squeeze out ofNZ