Restricted License Test

dunit7, Oct 28, 7:28pm
Has anyone sat this in the past 6 months!

Does anyone have any tips or things the instructor specifically looks for besides the usual! ( Checking mirrors, watching the speed, giving way to everything, hands on 10 & 2 on the wheel and so on.)

dunit7, Oct 28, 7:40pm
Ah thank you! sorry for double post - only had done since no reply - great read and very helpful thanks for the document :-)

tara101, Oct 29, 1:16am
Best piece of advice is to have a professional lesson to interpret what's in the that test guide and to see if you are ready. The test isn't easy and I see people fail everyday for the simplest things.

the.renegade, Nov 5, 10:57pm
Brush up on your parallel parking, 3 point turns, and reversing around corners (usually into driveways)

derringer, Nov 9, 8:56pm
Drive sensibly and follow the road rules. A professional lesson or two can be invaluable. People pick up critical errors for failing to obey simple road rules like indicating when exiting a roundabout, failing to look both ways before going over a railway crossing, failing to signal stopping for a parallel park or not signalling when moving off from the kerb. Stalling the car gets a critical error. Failing to give way will get you an instant fail. Not coming to a complete stop at a compulsory stop will get you a critical error. Remember stop means STOP. Don't treat stop signs like giveways like most so-called experience drivers out there seem to think they are. It is very rare to have to do a 3-point turn and reversing around corners is NOT part of the test. Go to NZTA's website and check out Restricted Licence Test. It will give you all the informantion you need and tell you the critical errors and Immediate Failure errors that can cost you the test and your money. There is no predetermined pass/fail rate. You either pass or you don't. Testing officer's (they are not instructors) do not care if you pass or fail the test they test according to the criteria set down by NZTA. Most would rather see an applicant pass the test than not but they are not going to let someone loose on the roads who has not proven they can meet the minimum standard required to be driving on our roads. Oh yes, you can only afford one critical error on stage one of the test or two critical errors over both stage 1 and stage 2. So anymore than 2 critical errors and the test is over and it is back to the office. You DO NOT get to do the entire test if you pick up too many critical errors. The test is finished immediately!
The testing officer is not going to allow you to continue if you have not met the minimum statndard. You are a possible risk to the Tetsing Officer, other road users and yourself! Practice, practice, practice! Remember that this test is based on 120 hours of quality driving/instruction with a supervisor. It is also good to remember that a driver will only be as good as the instruction they are given. No wonder so many parents get annoyed when their little Jill or Johnny fails. Get some professional driving lessons.
Good luck.

shinra, Nov 10, 3:14am
oh my god what happened i got my restricted like 7 years ago was super easy lap around the block.

derringer, Nov 17, 6:50am
7 years ago the test was piss easy and that's why there's so many crap drivers on the road now. It also explains why so many people fail the Full Licence test now as well. A piss easy test produced piss poor drivers that are now loose on our roads!

gingercrush, Nov 17, 11:38am
move your head because apparently using your eyes to look at mirrors and side streets etc is not actually searching the road. Second test my head was like a yo yo.