New Corolla hatchback vs new Prius C ?

Page 1 / 2
justme27, Nov 2, 5:43am
Does anyone have any knowledge, or opinions please on which would be the better value overall.both for fuel economy (mainly around town with occasional trips to Auckland or Wellington from BOP) and also for future resale value!Does anyone actually own a new Prius C who could give feedback on it! Thank you :)

a.woodrow, Nov 2, 5:46am
Well apples are often crunchy and oranges are usually juicy

intrade, Nov 2, 5:46am
dont know but corollas had poor fuel-economyfor what they are 1.5 liter that uses 7 liter or morepetrol is non acceptable todays

mugenb20b, Nov 2, 5:49am
Neither is a $15 000 DSG gearbox for a VW that's less than 5 years old.

intrade, Nov 2, 5:50am
kia picanto suzuki alto are the only cars with a lowis fuelconsumption and sortof low purchase price but are tini cars We got a sandero dacia 1.2 with 75hp and 105nm torque and that uses 5.8 liter 100k and is the size of a corolla unfortunately you wont be able to buy that here, only other one with low fuel figure was the holdon berena or how ever its spelled.

gammelvind, Nov 2, 7:19am
I had fresh homemade chicken rolls with pieces of apple in them for dinner, they sure gave them some crunch. The orange juice I had this afternoon sure was juicey, so you are correct.

morrisman1, Nov 2, 10:43am
dont get a gay hybrid, they are a fashion fad for greenies. A conventional car will offer the best long term motoring with the least complications. Even diesels are getting horrendous these days, they used to be dead simple and reliable but new stuff is junk, needing money fed to them by the briefcase as soon as something goes wrong. My advice, tell the green marketers to get stuffed, shove their eco junk up their colon and go get something simple and effective. The corolla is just that. Yea they are not the most exciting cars, although the new ones look pretty good, but they have a proven record and in these times I think that it is most important over a complicated and expensive eco car.

Yea its pessimistic to think about things that go wrong and how much they cost to fix but in reality, its going to happen and unless you can afford to soak it up, you are better off getting something that is most likely to only require scheduled maintenance.

justme27, Nov 2, 7:10pm
Thank you for that morrisman, makes good sense :)

db.price, Nov 13, 1:48am
We have a Kia Picanto (the new one) and it is not tinny at all.Took to it Auckland the other weekend from tauranga - 2 adults 2 kids and luggage.Averaged 58 L per 100km and cruised at 100 no problem.

The Picanto for the price is a great car.I would also rate the Rio and the Sportage as well.

Oh and it is Barina.And there is the Barina proper or the Barina Spark - the second one is a total POS

carstauranga001, Nov 13, 1:58am
I agree. You can buy a lot of petrol for 15K!

un_known, Nov 13, 2:14am
dacia sandero!shoudlve got the 1.6.apparently they can really move.

intrade, Nov 13, 2:28am
na that uses to mutch fuel and the 1.2 renault makes enough power and same torque as the old 1.6 diesel ford fiesta

phillip.weston, Nov 13, 3:38am
The new Corolla is actually a sharp looker (about bloody time!).

For the price of a base model Prius C you could get a fully optioned Corolla Levin ZR with panoramic glass roof and still have change left over to pay for petrol for the next few years. Just not worth getting a Prius (which is a bore to drive, a bore to look at, and not so feature rich) in order to save a supposed 2L/100km.

gollycolly, Nov 13, 4:25am
Base model Prius C $31000
Corolla Levin ZR$43700

gusthe1, Nov 13, 4:36am
New Corollas are 1.8 litre across the range. Have been for a few years.

phillip.weston, Nov 13, 5:53am
The previous generation wagons (which will probably remain on sale along side the new Corollas) are 1.5L powered as are many of the import Corollas of the previous generation.

phillip.weston, Nov 13, 5:54am
My bad. Still, I think you would be better off in a Corolla.

It's worth noting that the Prius C is actually based on the Yaris and is smaller than a Corolla whereas the regular Prius is Corolla sized (and priced accordingly).

gadgit3, Nov 13, 6:10am
I have driven them both and if you prefur a bit of power get the new corolla. The prius c is a nice little car and if you can get used to the way it feels to drive then your on a win. You'll never wear brake pads if driven correctly and fuel consumsion is amazing. A drive from thames to paeroa which is just over 25km used $1.40 worth of fuel round town runing in ev mode you will happley run down the shop andback without the engine startingup at all. neat little car but very different to a convential car and even different to the old prius in the way it drives

vtecintegra, Nov 13, 6:41am
The current 1.5 Corolla wagon with the CVT is rated at 5.1l/100km combined

morrisman1, Nov 13, 6:49am
holy crap, even a bugatti veyron would struggle to use that much!

gusthe1, Nov 13, 6:51am
This thread is about a NEW Corolla and a HATCH.

gollycolly, Nov 13, 8:26am
In reply to Gadgit3.
It's getting late so my maths could well be suspect but I work that out to be better than 3 litres 100k or in old figures 94mpg.Wow

3tomany, Nov 13, 8:42am
ok why are we comparing prius c against corrola when prius is a corrola comparison. Prius cis a yaris competitor so if small suits you get a yaris and invest the restin trees the enviroment will be better and youre bank ballance will also be better "win win"

nightboss, Nov 13, 9:39am
In my opinion the most important factor when comparing two different types of vehicles like this is annual distance covered. With extended warranty what total distance will you cover within those 5 years!

Are the fuel savings from the Prius greater than the cost difference over the Corolla! If you are financing your purchase what is the totalinterest difference and service costs.

Like others have said, apples and oranges.

redhead96, Nov 13, 10:07am
Don't like the look of the new corollas